Like Tree4Likes

Mi Note 4G HK$1199 Any Good

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Phones bought in HK do.
    Check with the store
    So the Note 4G from the official HK webstore should have it...too bad it's all in Chinese and I think you have to register. I could always go to SSP though.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    HK version have installed, beware of future updates of firmware as you could lose google play as other geoexpater have stated/confirmed especially grey imported ones
    So even with legit HK stock, I could lose G play in future updates? Is there some way to "root" it so it uses a normal english version of android?

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    So the Note 4G from the official HK webstore should have it...too bad it's all in Chinese and I think you have to register. I could always go to SSP though.

So even with legit HK stock, I could lose G play in future updates? Is there some way to "root" it so it uses a normal english version of android?
    apparently so, considering Xiaomi aren't members of the OHA, there is no guarantee of google standard apps such as google play, especially for future firmware updates.

I got a Xiaomi a couple months ago. Let's say for the price it's an ok phone but you get what you pay for. Few things happened with it:

- GPS was switching itself on all the time and then just stopped working
    - Recorder stopped working for no reason, would just send empty audio file
    - when you start typing a message, if you go a bit too fast the first 2 letters will be Big CAP - annoying
    - It tends to get stuck a lot even though I don't use many apps
    - When it's very hot or cold the touch screen goes crazy.

I got it in HK - Google play is available but there are a lot of Chinese apps pre-installed on it that I can't get rid off.

Overall not a bad phone but can be very frustrating. I found that the signal also tends to drop a lot compared to the Samsung I had before.

imparanoic likes this.

excellent and fairly unbiased guide on the best buy (among the differing budgets categories)

GSMArena smartphone buyer's guide: February 2015 - GSMArena.com

Plenty of choice at this price category! for xiaomi redmi/hungmi note competitors!

GSMArena smartphone buyer's guide: February 2015 - page 3 - GSMArena.com

why not list the key features you require ?

I've had one for about a year. I think it cost around $1200 and I bought it on the spur as a stopgap...I'm sure I'll buy another when this one gives out and there's no sign of that yet! The camera is really good and the battery is as good as any other smartphone.

An iPhone isn't worth six of these. It's nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I got a Xiaomi a couple months ago. Let's say for the price it's an ok phone but you get what you pay for. Few things happened with it:

- GPS was switching itself on all the time and then just stopped working
    - Recorder stopped working for no reason, would just send empty audio file
    - when you start typing a message, if you go a bit too fast the first 2 letters will be Big CAP - annoying
    - It tends to get stuck a lot even though I don't use many apps
    - When it's very hot or cold the touch screen goes crazy.

I got it in HK - Google play is available but there are a lot of Chinese apps pre-installed on it that I can't get rid off.

Overall not a bad phone but can be very frustrating. I found that the signal also tends to drop a lot compared to the Samsung I had before.
    I got rid of the bloat with an app. called bloat remover. Try harder. :-) I've not experienced any of the problems you have and I really use my phones....wifi, hotspot and bluetooth on all day, use it as a WhatsApp server, photos and videos, etc...