Like Tree11Likes

Data roaming : Leakage with SmarTone

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Did you have data off or just data roaming off?
    Data = ON
    Roaming = OFF
    When I go abroad I normally put my phone in airplane mode to avoid any costs.
    Doing a quick google search, your problem does occur on occasion regardless of iphone, android, windows phone etc and it happens all over the world.
    This is not making me feel any better.
    Hopefully a nice shave with a nice looking razor will take the edge off

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Data = ON
    Roaming = OFF

This is not making me feel any better.
    Hopefully a nice shave with a nice looking razor will take the edge off
    why did you turn off data when abroad, you can still rely on wifi

I would contact the OFCA and the Consumer Council. They are a bit toothless but once a compliant is made to them it will force Smartone to investigate properly.

I didnt turn off Data because I had never heard of such a leakage happening.

I'm now more educated and slightly poorer.

imparanoic likes this.

I'd be pissed too. Surely SmarTone have a few shreds of common sense to see it's clearly a mistake of some kind and credit back the charges. You must not be talking to the right person at SmarTone. I know they are stupid, but surely not this stupid??

But something a bit weird going on if you say your wife's phone also got basically the same charges. How can the same mistake be made on two phones, one android and one IOS? It can't be a technical issue then can it? Something suss you are not telling us HC.

I have not yet seen her usage report. As soon as I do, the mystery should be solved

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    How can the same mistake be made on two phones, one android and one IOS?
    It's probably not a mistake and they keep the amount low enough so people won't bother them too much. I too switch to flight mode whenever I leave HK.

Tiny amounts of data like that must just be leakage. Husband has said that in the past, his iPhone "leaks" even when everything totally off. I too tend to put my phone in flight mode (but that's because i use it on the plane and just leave it like that). I will take that as a lucky escape!

I concur with the view to take it to the consumer council. These kinds of things should not be allowed.

I have 1+, also with SMARTONE and I go on business travels every month (5-6) days only but I havent had such a data leak charge on my bill (I just checked online).

HC what $$$ package are you using per month, I have the rip off price one at $345 per month Not sure if that makes any difference.

If you really want to do an experiment is go to top of tai mo sha where local networks are crap and watch your phone suddenly change to roaming in China, turn phone on and off a few times, go home and see if any roaming data was marked

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I have 1+, also with SMARTONE and I go on business travels every month (5-6) days only but I havent had such a data leak charge on my bill (I just checked online).
    I only noticed it this month. If I had seen it before, I would have yelled. Who knows, perhaps they changed their systems recently.
    HC what $$$ package are you using per month, I have the rip off price one at $345 per month Not sure if that makes any difference.
    I'm on th $198 plan. Wife is on the $398 unlimited.