Like Tree7Likes

Phone - MicroSD Card Failures

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Phone - MicroSD Card Failures

Bit of a thread hijack here but how many people here have suffered MicroSD card failures in their android phones?

I have had 2 in the last 2 years, first one in a Galaxy S3, the latest in my G3

I always use Sandisk so don't believe I am skimping on cheapo cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Bit of a thread hijack here but how many people here have suffered MicroSD card failures in their android phones?

I have had 3 sd card failures, 2 cheapo ( a few years ago, not worth it now), and once on Kingston ( their customer service for exchange sd card is simplier than sandisk, sandisk seems to slightly arsey about the exchange process ) only 3 days old, but there were not used for a phone though

I read somewhere that even in the US there's a good chance that SanDisk and Kingston cards are counterfeit.

That's why Samsung is moving away from expandable memory since invariably the customer blames them for failures

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    I read somewhere that even in the US there's a good chance that SanDisk and Kingston cards are counterfeit.

That's why Samsung is moving away from expandable memory since invariably the customer blames them for failures
    official store sold it, the official hk Kingston distributor verified the sd card though a computer as official and genuine, hence, why they exchanged for a new brand one ( took around 3 mins)

at the end of the day, sd card failure are not common, even though hot swappable, there is a chance that some background task ( done by the phone) which may be writing to the sd card, if this is taking place and you take out your sd card, therefore higher chance of corrupting the sd card, so it's best to turn off your phone then take it out

just wondering, did the sd card fail while in the phone or while you taking it out ( when the phone is still on)?

i buy cheapest flash memory and treat them as disposable.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    just wondering, did the sd card fail while in the phone or while you taking it out ( when the phone is still on)?
    Was in the phone from day one and never removed, one day I was looking for some photos and thay were gone!

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    i buy cheapest flash memory and treat them as disposable.
    Depends what you use it for? if it's for a daily usage and important device, ie, my phone, I get a very fast ( uhs1) class 10 micro sd card, Kingston, sandisk or Samsung, 64GB is only HK$250 nowadays.

if for cheap and cheerful item, then cheapest as possible, even 16gb can be as low as HK$70 nowadays

Was in the phone from day one and never removed, one day I was looking for some photos and thay were gone!
    that's unfortunate.

used a 16gb sandisk class 10 on my sony ericsson aino from 08 to 2011, then the same sd card on sony erricsson xperia arc ( from early 2011 to late 2012) , used 32gb class 10 Samsung on my xperia tx (2012 - late 2014), now Kingston uhs 1 64gb sd card on my xperia z2

no problem never happened to me.

the only branded one, was that 32gb class 10 uhs1 for my sony mirrorless camera, didn't even get the chance to use on the camera then it's burned itself when I transfer photo to the sd

In the 12 month period in which I used 2 x Note 2 and a Note 3, I gave up using an SD card after 3 months. Went through a total of around 5 SD cards, no matter what speeds or brands, they all ended up with corrupt data, losing all the photos in the process. Whenever I had the need to remove an SD card, I would always have the phone powered off first. So there's absolutely no way I would ever go back to using removable storage on a smartphone.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast