3G voice/data SIM for 3 months?

3G voice/data SIM for 3 months?

I've searched all the great info in these forums and can't find an answer to this question:

Where can I get a 3G voice/data SIM for my unlocked GSM smartphone for a temporary 3 month stay in Hong Kong?

I can't find any prepaid 3G voice/data SIMs.

The big providers (3, SmarTone, PCCW, etc.) seem to cater to long term customers. I also don't have an HKID which I think they require? And my address is a hotel.

I normally use a few hundred voice minutes, and about 200MB a month data.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Last edited by bananaman; 05-10-2008 at 12:03 PM.

PCCW have just launched a contract-free (minimum 2 months), bring-your-own-handset package for $98 (+$12 fees) with 60MB data, unlimited wifi, and 600 or so minutes of voice per month. If you don't have an ID card (which they wrongly consider to be proof of residency) they might ask for a deposit to enable IDD and/or roaming, but you should be able to sign up - not sure if they'll accept a hotel as your address though.

Thanks vmlinuz, that's excellent information!

The 60MB data is a bit lower than I was looking for but the unlimited WiFi should compensate for that.

It says "60MB GPRS" but I assume that since the plan is called "3G Web & Talk", it means 3G where available?

I also forgot to say I will need International US & UK.

I'll go see what they say!

Prepaid SIM

PCCW have a prepaid SIM that does all that - buy at 711 or PCCW shop

Which prepaid SIM are you referring to? I can't find any mention of a PCCW prepaid SIM which includes 3G voice and data. Please provide a link.

I signed up for the "3G Web & Talk" plan mentioned by vmlinuz. So far so good! The 3G data coverage is very good in Central Kowloon - and faster than I'm used to in the US!