Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jmbf

village house internet help

Angry village house internet help

I'm not a tech expert so please keep ot simple

3months ago I moved to Ngau Au Village and there was no phone jack in my house (I didn't knw about this until a few days moving in)

I called pccw to get my LAN but said they can't because I don't have a phone jack and they suggest that they would install 1 for me but I have to wait for a month or 2. I did and I called them lots of times and still did not do s#*t about it. so f**k pccw is there any other solutions?

I can only spend $200-400 a month for internet. I want internet that is good enough to game or watch YouTube

note: other ppl in the area have no problem just my house

Do you know what "other ppl" using for their internet?
    cmiiw, internet in most village house in HK are covered only by PCCW therefore they mostly behave like an effing arse, so deal with it.
    other option probably using 4G or LTE via your mobile, depends on your location if you can have decent signal to load videos on youtube, no ideas about gaming tho.
    good luck.

There should be a sticky about this - if moving to a village house (especially a remote one) don't automatically expect to have access to a cheap / quick internet connection. Ask and confirm about this BEFORE moving in.

I live out in the middle of nowhere and sadly PCCW is the only available TV/Internet provider. However, all is not lost. You can buy a mobile Wi-Fi router (Wan Chai Computer centre, Mong Kok computer centre, etc) and get an unlimited 4G contract with one of the cellphone companies (CSL, China Mobile, etc). I currently use my boyfriend's mobile wi-fi at home, even though my house has wi-fi set up. He pays about 300 HKD or 400 HKD per month for unlimited 4G. The bonus thing is, when he doesn't use the mobile wi-fi he simply takes out the sim card and puts it in his phone instead for unlimited 4G connection on his phone. Then when he comes home, he can simply take out the sim card and place it back in the mobile wi-fi router.

It's faster and cheaper than relying on PCCW. The issue with using PCCW is that they tell you you'll have a certain speed, but as long as you're getting at least 80% of the speed it states in your contract with them, they don't have to do anything. So people have crap internet, but PCCW continues to make money and refuses to put in new, faster internet lines because that would cost them money... and you don't have a choice because for most people living out in the middle of nowhere, PCCW is THE only choice.

Last edited by Sweeneykill; 21-08-2015 at 01:12 AM.

What company is your boyfriend using?

He's using Smart tone. He pays 440$ per month, but I think it's less if you don't use it to call. As I mentioned, he uses it as his phone sim card as well.

Just make sure you get a mobile wi-fi router that supports 4G if that's what you're thinking of getting from the cellphone company. Otherwise you can end up paying for 4G but only getting 3G. Although where I live, my boyfriend doesn't get 4G connection, but almost. It's good enough for both of us to use to play MMO's.

Second that. I'm using a Huawei router. Check your signal first.