Like Tree15Likes

Android (and Apple) Pay - how long to HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    If only people just googled a bit before replying.... Anyway.

- Bochk have ewallet, not dependent on carriers.
    - Hase and HSBC works with CSL, 1010, smartone, China mobile. 4 out of 5 hk mno.
    - Hkt have tap&go.
    - 3 and Citibank have 3citiWallet.
    - BEA have ipay

Two options are anyway the same number of options mentioned in the initial post.
    If you've seen my posting history you will have seen I've flagged up some of these previously.

Also to clarify a few things:

- HKT, csl and 1010 are all the same thing. So they have HSBC / Hang Seng, Bocomm and Tap&go. Also the only credit card that presently works with Tap&go is Dah Sing.
    - 3citiwallet. This launched a few years ago. I cannot find any information on this service anymore, anywhere. Not on the Three HK website, not on the Citi website and I can't seem to find an app with it.
    - I didn't know about BOC and BEA, thanks for pointing those out.

All of these tie you down to a specific provider / credit card company. Also the carrier ones require you to have a specific sim in your phone. The idea with Android and Apple pay is they are both carrier and (hopefully) credit card provider agnostic.
    Last edited by pin; 08-09-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    The idea with Android and Apple pay is they are both carrier and (hopefully) credit card provider agnostic.
    As much as the card issuer decide to support apple/samsung/android/whatever pay...

All of these tie you down to a specific provider / credit card company. Also the carrier ones require you to have a specific sim in your phone. The idea with Android and Apple pay is they are both carrier and (hopefully) credit card provider agnostic.
    The only problem I have with this is what happens when you phone gets borked.

Ever since the Octopus, HK has fallen way behind the times in terms of payment transactions. Ever noticed that the PDQ machines must always be put back into its cradle before it actually dials the transaction? I've been informed that this is because HK does not allow 'over the air' transactions.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    The only problem I have with this is what happens when you phone gets borked.
    "Borked" as in...?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Haven't you heard? Octopus is outdated now. It was cool and leading edge 15 years ago, but now is nothing special. Alipay, Wechat, Apple, Android etc all great new technologies threatening the future of octopus. After all these years of being frustrated at unable to pay for a taxi with Octopus, it might not be relevant anymore in the very near future as these new services completely change the playing field (eg Uber basically uses your phone as the meter and no need to hand over any cash at the end).

From 'out-dated' Octopus card to Uber: Is the government's mindset blocking Hong Kong's future? | South China Morning Post
    Chatting to mid ranking official at the MA a few months ago they suggested they get little direction from the executive branch of Government to have forward focused policies to lay down laws to facilitate modern payment techniques. Just very poor governance.
    Last edited by East_coast; 10-09-2015 at 09:41 PM.

The HSBC site on this topic is so confusing... Why do you need a MasterCard for Android, but a Visa for Apple?

I have an Android device, but no MasterCard, only a Visa. Does that mean there's no way for me to do mobile payments?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Chatting to mid ranking official at the MA a few months ago they suggested they get little direction from the executive branch of Government to have forward focused policies to lay down laws to facilitate modern payment techniques. Just very poor governance.
    Passing the buck. Have the suggested to the executive branch that forward focused policies are required or are they waiting around to be given some direction - as is typical in most govt departments.

Problem is none of these guys are passionate about anything and remain happy with their jobs, from which they cannot get fired from.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    Sure it does, but its true.

This statement pretty much sums it up: "The Octopus Card is so ubiquitous that other forms of contactless payment hold little appeal. "

This has pretty much been the response of many, including on this board. As far as many are concerned, in HK, Octopus is the be all and end all of contactless payments in HK, even though there are newer and better options out there (but not available in HK).

EDIT: just to add, I've now read the full article. I actually don't think it is an advitorial for wechat. Its actually a good piece as to why contactless payment is being held back in HK, and goes way beyond advertising wechat.
    Last edited by pin; 07-10-2015 at 07:20 AM.
    GeoTommy and Rob2020 like this.

This statement pretty much sums it up: "The Octopus Card is so ubiquitous that other forms of contactless payment hold little appeal. "

This has pretty much been the response of many, including on this board. As far as many are concerned, in HK, Octopus is the be all and end all of contactless payments in HK, even though there are newer and better options out there (but not available in HK).
    Agreed - the Octopus works well, I'd like to see some features added to it, but for day to day it's good enough.

Feature Requests:
    * online portal to monitor my transactions (not just the past 10-20 or whatever it is stored on the card itself)
    * ability to increase my daily auto-reload limit
    * notifications when auto-reload happens (SMS/ email)
    TheBrit likes this.