Like Tree15Likes

Android (and Apple) Pay - how long to HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Android Pay launches in Singapore:

Android Pay arrives in Asia, starting with Singapore

timonoj likes this.

Apple Pay finally out in HK:

Apple Pay - Apple (HK)

singapore used to be behind in mobile payments, now they are ahead of hk. i wonder if octopus are creating hurdles behind the scenes. i'm surprised apple pay has actually launched.

I just saw this promotion:

50% off at ParknShop (and some some other places) when you pay with Apple Pay using your connected DBS credit card.

In the fine print, far, far, below it said "maximum rebate $50". WTF!

Apple Pay | DBS Personal Banking

Hong Kong’s Octopus set to launch e-wallet app for Apple devices

Hong Kong’s Octopus set to launch e-wallet app for Apple devices | South China Morning Post

So...Octopus only updates when finally apple pay figures a way to enter the market. And when it finally does, it does so in the worst clunkiest possible way. I just hope Android Pay arrive soon enough, rather fed up with the lack of proper options (besides Apple Pay, as that's not enough of a excuse to get me to buy something Apple).

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    rather fed up with the lack of proper options
    I would consider Octopus itself, without a phone, rather a good option. And then there are contactless credit cards. I am not really clear what added benefit the phone will bring in.
    TheBrit, shri and Hakata Bay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I would consider Octopus itself, without a phone, rather a good option. And then there are contactless credit cards. I am not really clear what added benefit the phone will bring in.
    flameproof goto pin.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Its not a credit card payment mechanism.

Not accepted everywhere.

Won't work abroad.

No chargeback mechanism.
    EDIT: I'll add some more.
    Regarding the contactless cards, you can't check the current/previous/transactions on the spot. You can't authorize them just by placing the thing with your fingerprint and off you go. You still have to reach for your wallet while your phone is probably in your hand or way closer to reach.

#Firstworldproblems much? Maybe. But that's a technology that is proving to be easy and convenient wherever it's going. And here we're stuck with a technology that was cool 15 years ago, but it's been long dated. Fax never stopped being useful, but there are more efficient ways of doing things.
    Last edited by timonoj; 29-07-2016 at 10:56 AM.

I would agree on this:

• More options are good anyway
    • It looks cool, sort of, at least to some people

I was thinking about getting it for China. Saw it there a few times. In China I would add this benefit:

• No need to touch grimy banknotes.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    So...Octopus only updates when finally apple pay figures a way to enter the market. And when it finally does, it does so in the worst clunkiest possible way. I just hope Android Pay arrive soon enough, rather fed up with the lack of proper options (besides Apple Pay, as that's not enough of a excuse to get me to buy something Apple).
    HSBC/HASE have had NFC payments (like apple pay) for years...