Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

Wi-Fi calling on 3/LTE

Closed Thread

Wi-Fi calling on 3/LTE

Anyone using this?

Sounds useful, especially where mobile coverage is not that good (like in certain parts of my apartment).

I've tried to enable it, called my own other number (Skype), and received a busy tone, while I could call the same number with the Wi-Fi calling disabled. Could be related to the type of number, but this doesn't give me a lot of confidence to use it.

Name:  Turn-on-Wi-Fi-Calling-in-iOS-8-on-iPhone.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  27.7 KB

If I am not mistaken then the Skype numbers in HK are even provided by HGC, which makes this busy tone even worse (3=HGC).

Last edited by 100LL; 29-09-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Dejavu. I just wondered again if I should enable Wifi calling on my iPhone and wanted to post it on Geoexpat to get some feedback

If Im not mistaken, wifi calling in HK only works on the SmarTone network.

It also works on Three apparently. Had it enabled for a few days. Disabled it again yesterday. No reason, but why use my Wifi since I pay them for the cell towers?

SmarTone and 3 Hong Kong launch WiFi calling for iPhones

Last edited by 100LL; 29-01-2016 at 06:56 AM.

Seems Wifi Calling on Three was/is only a free trial at the moment, starting from 31/7/2016 they start charging $28/month for it.

It seems to be opt-in, but not sure what happens if the trial runs out and it's enabled on your device(s).

Yes 3 HK Wifi calling at HKD28/month. Seems strange as it would be free in other countries (e.g. EE UK).

I don't get Wifi calling. You are using an ISP's bandwidth to make calls, so it is costing the mobile network very little money?

Mrs. Jones likes this.