Fixing iPhone screen

Closed Thread

Fixing iPhone screen

Any suggestion for replacing an iPhone screen?

My iPhone 6 started to have black horizontal streaks from the top a month ago. It started with one line, now the top 1cm of the screen is covered with black streaks. The staff at the Genius Bar said its liquid spill and would cost around $800 to replace the screen and I would have to leave the phone with them for one to three days. Oh and I can't even get an appointment to bring the phone in.

Any other option I have to fix this?

I can potentially purchase a new phone, but would really like to wait for iPhone 7 which I don't think my current screen will last till then.

I can trade in as is for a new 6 at fortress, but probably not the most economical?

Cheap Chinese screen replacements for iphone 6 are around $300. Mid range around $500. Original apple around $800. These are the options you will get from the phone repair shops in Mongkok.

Sin Tat Plaza in Mong kok is the best place to fix iphone screens...try 2 or 3/F

Be careful in using unofficial repairs. Apple's latest software will brick your phone if it detects that you are using a non-Apple technician.
    I don't think you have much choice except stumping up the HKD800 for a full repair

‘Error 53’ fury mounts as Apple software update threatens to kill your iPhone 6 | Money | The Guardian

Thanks everyone. The $800 at Apple Store is less an issue for me than the potentially 3 days without a phone. Also, can't seem to get an appointment at the Genius Bar for whatever reason.

Thank you for pointing out the potential danger in using unofficial repair. Was seriously considering going to mongkok as they can fix it in less than an hour.

Got the same issue and just went to the Apple Store in QWB. Have an appointment for tonight and they guaranteed I will have it back no later than Wednesday evening.

Considered going to a third party too but there are so many things that can go wrong (error 53, dodgy replacement / theft of genuine parts etc) that I am biting the bullet and will be without phone for 2 days. Also heard of many stories where everything worked fine for a few weeks / months and then some parts of the phone stopped working or the phone kept freezing. Price differential is not much, you got proper guarantee and it might actually be an interesting experience to live without mobile for a few days ...

Thanks for sharing. Visiting a store to make an appointment is what I will do then.