Like Tree9Likes

Blackberry ending making phones

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Blackberry ending making phones

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2016/09...g-smartphones/

No surprise really. Surprised it's taken so long. Actually surprised the company is still going.

Original Post Deleted
    John Chen made me a good amount of $$$ on Sybase and I've got faith he will make me good amount of $$$ on BBRY.

Holding a bunch of shares bought around 6ish.

BIS/BES was by far the best email solution and they dumped the model to be another failed smartphone follower.

Quote Originally Posted by conundrum:
    BIS/BES was by far the best email solution and they dumped the model to be another failed smartphone follower.
    They dumped it because customers wanted a tablet and they buggered up the implementation.

They kept their infrastructure closed and secretive far too long and gave others time to build alternatives.
    They (the employees and engineers) were so full of themselves, they refused to collaborate with others.
    I could go on but it will upset my morning - suffice it to say that they got what they deserved. Competition ate their lunch and dinner while they sat there still reminiscing about the wonderful breakfast that would not be shared.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    They dumped it because customers wanted a tablet and they buggered up the implementation.

They kept their infrastructure closed and secretive far too long and gave others time to build alternatives.
    They (the employees and engineers) were so full of themselves, they refused to collaborate with others.
    I could go on but it will upset my morning - suffice it to say that they got what they deserved. Competition ate their lunch and dinner while they sat there still reminiscing about the wonderful breakfast that would not be shared.
    Agree but there is still value in their closed infrastructure (whatever is left of it).

If I were them, I'd reinstate the BIS/BES + BBM infrastructure, relaunch the BB7250 form factor with fixed keyboard, and market it as the best secure messaging device.

I'm tired of typos and taking 30% longer to type messages on a touch-screen, and emails taking seconds or minutes to deliver when it used to be instantaneous.

Bring on 2005!

Quote Originally Posted by conundrum:
    Agree but there is still value in their closed infrastructure (whatever is left of it).
    See above where I said I own shares
    There is lots of value in that company - hope John can do a good job of extracting.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    See above where I said I own shares
    There is lots of value in that company - hope John can do a good job of extracting.
    Do you own them for that reason or have you become a long term investor because realising a loss would be too hurtful? Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Do you own them for that reason or have you become a long term investor because realising a loss would be too hurtful? Serious question.
    Huh?
    Why would it be a loss when I already declared I bought them at around $6

I've been in the black since I bought them back in 2012. Should have sold at 16 when I had the chance but I kept them....For now, I'm sitting on them. I own and have kept them because I have faith in John Chen. He was not in the picture when I first touched the stock. I bought it originally because I saw value. I have not sold because I think JC will do well with it.
    Morrison and bbchris like this.

Shrug. General public stopped buying BB phones 5-10 years ago.

RIP Nokia and BB. Once giants, now historical footnotes.

TheBrit, HowardCoombs and Rob2020 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    RIP Nokia and BB. Once giants, now historical footnotes.
    Happens to the best of them, especially when they dont listen to customers.

Kodak, Sears, Kmart are recent ones.

IBM was almost one - they made it thru and surprised the hell out of me when they did....

All of them have had books written about them and they make for very interesting reading; unfortunately, the lessons are not easily learned and regularly get ignored while the mistakes get repeated.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast