Like Tree4Likes

HKBN contract renewal question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HKBN contract renewal question

Our HKBN contract is expiring in 10 days. We have used their service for the past 2 years and are considering renewal.

The online auto-renewal is quoting us a price of $238 a month for 1000M broadband, home tel, and MyTVSuper (not sure what channels are included but we hardly watch tv anyways); 24 months contract. However, as a new subscriber signing up for the same plan in the same building, the price is only $178 a month.

I have contacted HKBN by phone, online chat, and email to see if they would be willing to match our renewal rate to the same as a new subscriber, but they tell me that $238 is the lowest they could do for us.

I know $60 a month is not huge (though over 24 months $1,440 is not a small amount), but it's the principle of it that's bugging me.

How can a company only want to attract new customers and not want to retain existing customers??

Has anyone else had similar experience with HKBN?

When it happened to me, I told them I did not want the Home Tel and MyTV, and they eventually came down and gave me an offer (higher per month, but several free months) which was similar to what I was paying before.

cspen likes this.

Thanks drumbrake! I will try that when I contact them again.

I just came upon Smartone's ST Fibre Broadband, which is powered by HKBN, but has lower monthly rate compared to HKBN (for essentially the same plan, ST is $166 per month compared to HKBN's $238 per month).

If it's powered by HKBN, means same reliability?

I think reliability is hit or miss, some companies can be good, some can be bad, I don't think there is a norm.

Since you say we, why don't you cut the service now (in 10 days) and have your other person sign up with the new promotion. Simple.

cspen likes this.

Powered by HKBN means they lease some bandwidth from it so reliability should be the same but the speed (depending on the bandwidth) might be different. Anyway, the bottleneck of internet service here is not local but overseas connection. As far as I know (not exactly sure, so correct me if I am wrong), only PCCW / Netvigator has undersea optical cable and all other ISP have to lease from them.

Quote Originally Posted by cspen

I just came upon Smartone's ST Fibre Broadband, which is powered by HKBN, but has lower monthly rate compared to HKBN (for essentially the same plan, ST is $166 per month compared to HKBN's $238 per month).

cspen likes this.

Thanks MandM!

Unfortunately, the new subscriber rate is only valid if the address (not person) has not used HKBN's service within the past 120 days....

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    I think reliability is hit or miss, some companies can be good, some can be bad, I don't think there is a norm.

Since you say we, why don't you cut the service now (in 10 days) and have your other person sign up with the new promotion. Simple.

bdw

It is pretty disgusting that HKBN would offer a new customer $178 a month but an existing customer renewing the same service gets treated like shit and price jacked up to $238. If you have another choice such as smartone then I would switch to it just on principle and then if they do the same shit in two years from now you need need to switch back again.

Others unfortunately dont have this option and can only choose the even higher priced netvigator, so in this regard I think you are 'lucky'

Quote Originally Posted by cspen

Did you go for Smartone? How's the connection? I'm in the same situation with HKBN renewal, and they're impossible to talk to.

Yes we switched to Smartone, but since we've been traveling, haven't had a chance to test the connection and speed. Will update in November.

If you still have more than 1 month left on your contract and want to stay with HKBN, I would suggest emailing them your service termination form. Supposedly they'll reduce your renewal rate a bit. You can download the form once you've logged into your account, under Form Download --> Service Termination.

Hope everything works out!

To be honest, Hong Kong is like this, every time you renew something whether it's a gym membership, mobile phone contract or broadband in this case, they always increase their prices. In the UK, they will do everything to try and retain you as a customer...

Having said that, your better off paying the little bit extra than side with PCCW as they are trash based on my experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast