Like Tree11Likes

Landline at home - is it useful ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It can be useful if you run a business, many companies(e.g. DHL, TNT) will refuse to open you an account unless you can provide a landline number. It can be a bit troublesome with the banks as well if your company does not have a landline.

I myself do not have a landline either, I got around all of the above by putting in a skype number always when asked for a landline.

shri and Koen like this.

Original Post Deleted
    No. Dump PCCW landline asp. The more remote you live the less service you can expect.

Village landlines are the first to go in Typhoons but in fact primarily during thunder storms and there are many many. Almost constant humidity means you will be constantly fighting PCCW getting it repaired as moisture plays havoc.

Mobile phone "lines" which don't physically exist are rarely ever (if at all) affected by typhoons.

If you have very poor mobile reception in your area you might want to keep your landline problems and all or change server on your mobile, but personally I would rather go and sit in the dark under the dusty stairs of the upstairs boiler and make that international conference call than deal with PCCW all the time. They are one extreme irritation every expat deserves to live without.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    It can be useful if you run a business.
    Essential even. So if you are running a biusness completely from home......

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    It can be useful if you run a business, many companies(e.g. DHL, TNT) will refuse to open you an account unless you can provide a landline number. It can be a bit troublesome with the banks as well if your company does not have a landline.

I myself do not have a landline either, I got around all of the above by putting in a skype number always when asked for a landline.
    Skype is a good option. Some mobile networks also give you a "home" line.

I've know a local who cancelled his landline but kept the landline-number (not the landline itself) and forwarded it to another phone/mobile phone. Reason was they wanted to keep the number, also for business. Apparently "cheap" (as in a few dollars), but this info is dated and might depend on which company you use for landline/mobile contract.

Amen.

jrkob likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2