Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shafiq

Does SmarTone throttle MP3?

Closed Thread

Does SmarTone throttle MP3?

I noticed something strange lately:

Since beginning of Feb I'm on the cheap uncapped SmarTone 720K LTE plan ($106/m). Basically that plan is fine.

But when I d/l a MP3 it starts quick, and then get's slower, and eventually get stuck after 5Mb or so. On the 3G plan there was no such problem.

My workaround is Shadowsocks VPN, that restarts a stalling connection automatically.

Just wonder if anybody else has similar SmarTone problems?

My friend was on a similar plan.

Smartone actually told her it was pretty useless so she moved to CSL on expiry of her contract.

There's your answer

Maybe on the cheap plan. I have the $4xx unlimited 4G plan and experience zero throttling anywhere.

mp3?

I'm on the Smartone $78 unlimited "3G" plan and no problems streaming Spotify, Google music, or RTHK podcasts. When you say mp3 is a problem, do you mean other formats like flac or aac are ok?

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I noticed something strange lately:

Since beginning of Feb I'm on the cheap uncapped SmarTone 720K LTE plan ($106/m). Basically that plan is fine.

But when I d/l a MP3 it starts quick, and then get's slower, and eventually get stuck after 5Mb or so. On the 3G plan there was no such problem.

My workaround is Shadowsocks VPN, that restarts a stalling connection automatically.

Just wonder if anybody else has similar SmarTone problems?
    Its due to traffic shaping on low priority networks. Network providers use QoS to give priority to downloads of web pages and small files like mails over larger media files. When u click download it starts faster as the total file size is not instantly registered on the network . Once the network sees the file size and file type, it throttles.
    flameproof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    I'm on the Smartone $78 unlimited "3G" plan and no problems streaming Spotify, Google music, or RTHK podcasts. When you say mp3 is a problem, do you mean other formats like flac or aac are ok?
    Well, @shafiq's reply is plausible.

What I try to d/l is an 8Mb audio MP3 file. I use also Tune-In radio and have no problem with the radio streams, and no problem with Youtube. Strangely, had no problem on 3G before too. Will try to switch back to G3, anyway, if in need now I switch on Shadowsocks and it works fine.