Like Tree8Likes

Lycamobile - all in one plan

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Tongbaos:
    Ok so I have a different question on lyca since I'm concerned of support from them.

From what I understand, unlocked phones will get their updates from which ever carrier they use. So if lyca has poor support on other things, could this be of concern as well? Does anybody know of which HK company do support phones and push updates?

I just hear from USA complaints from one carrier to the next of slow push of updates. No idea how it works here in HK. Thanks.
    Unlocked phones do not get updates from carriers. They get from manufacturers. So it is of no concern.

Ah. They way I see people talking it seems like it was carrier specific even for unlocked. Thanks for the info.

I just got this plan. Is it me, or is it terrible? Once in a while it's fast, but equally often web pages barely load, and there's even a serious delay in sending WhatsApp messages. (Sometimes every day nothing at all will send.) I'm in the not exactly rich parts of Kowloon, but never more than ten minutes from the MTR.

The other possibility is that my new phone is broken. I'd really like to know which is the culprit!

I just got this plan. Is it me, or is it terrible? Once in a while it's fast, but equally often web pages barely load, and there's even a serious delay in sending WhatsApp messages. (Sometimes every day nothing at all will send.) I'm in the not exactly rich parts of Kowloon, but never more than ten minutes from the MTR.

The other possibility is that my new phone is broken. I'd really like to know which is the culprit!

I had no problem with the reception itself. It uses Three's bandwidth. However I didn't like that my Android phone didn't recognize it as a local operator, and considered my phone to be "roaming", displaying the "R" next to the reception icon. That means many apps will behave differently than if it was on a normal "local" network, as it will try to minimize consumption, thinking it's using data in a country abroad. Basically, when the screen turns off, almost all connectivity goes off. No real time sync. Does the R show to you as well?

It usually doesn't show the roaming "R". The problem is that the bandwidth is often just about zero, or it seems to allow only one connection at one (if my apps are updating, I can't load any web site). And WhatsApp web almost never works when I'm not on wifi.

I would be willing to accept that they just don't have a tower near my apartment, but sometimes I do get good speed. One night I couldn't load web pages at 11:00, but at 1:00 am the connection because very fast. Turning my phone's data on and off sometimes helps. I guess I'll call their support next time it happens during business hours, but I don't have much hope about this.

Sorry, I misread that you had the R often, when you actually don't. Maybe you have a different issue. Mine was the false roaming, which stopped all data for all apps when not the active one on your phone screen.