Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By blackwings
  • 1 Post By pin

Best (+ Cheapest) Traveller's SIM to China

Closed Thread

Best (+ Cheapest) Traveller's SIM to China

Hey guys!

I'm off to China for two weeks next month and really need some data for roaming.

I have a CMHK SIM contract and they offer a daily rate (48HKD) which is really more than what I want to pay - and is far more than I've paid before for Thailand, Japan or Malaysia.

I only need data with, probably, at least 2GB, valid for 14 days and as cheap and reliable as possible. Ideally, I want to be able to buy it in HK but Beijing airport is also OK.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    Hey guys!

I'm off to China for two weeks next month and really need some data for roaming.

I have a CMHK SIM contract and they offer a daily rate (48HKD) which is really more than what I want to pay - and is far more than I've paid before for Thailand, Japan or Malaysia.

I only need data with, probably, at least 2GB, valid for 14 days and as cheap and reliable as possible. Ideally, I want to be able to buy it in HK but Beijing airport is also OK.

Thanks.
    China enforced a new rule recently re: their sims. Two months ago, I was in a city with no shop willing to sell me a SIM card unless I have a Chinese resident ID card. HKID wouldn't work for them. I am not sure if it is provincial /city or a central rule.

I would strongly advise you to pay for a prepaid China mobile/Unicom card before you go. I think one can cost around HKD148. Seen it around in 7eleven as well as even JHC.
    East_coast and irisboards like this.

bunch of prepaid data options here: DataWorld

There are a few other companies that sell these sort of cards now. Also presume you can get discounted cards from the markets in SSP as well.

TeachHK likes this.

Thanks for the link.

It seems this may be the best deal.
    DataWorld
    $118 for 8 days with 4GB of 4G data. Has anyone used this SIM before?

Original Post Deleted
    If it is the dual sim, she could have register it with a HKID in HK. Except the problem the service provider speaks in Cantonese when they call, English is obsolete in that aspect. They sent my friend a warning text to register in Cantonese.

Looks like the recommended options are all data-only, i.e. no real Chinese number which could be handy. Any suggestions regarding getting a real Chinese number SIM in Hong Kong before going to China?

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Looks like the recommended options are all data-only, i.e. no real Chinese number which could be handy. Any suggestions regarding getting a real Chinese number SIM in Hong Kong before going to China?
    Don't think you can anymore. All phones need to be registered against an ID so you'll probably have to get one on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Don't think you can anymore. All phones need to be registered against an ID so you'll probably have to get one on the ground.
    I'd be OK with that... however "people of the Internet" say that foreigners might not be even allowed to buy SIM cards in China... oh well...