Like Tree2Likes

China Unicom 4G showing as 3G ??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by carefunhk:
    Yes I can confirm I am using TP-Link 7350.
    When I turned on the device, it asked me to update, which I did.
    I even double checked and it shows the device is currently up to date.

I did create a new apn profile. I will try again with the same settings as my phone later.
    Thanks for your help.
    Are you using android phone ? Can you download an app called LTE discovery and see what lte band is your sim 4g working on?

7350 mifi support 800 900 1800 2100 and 2600.
    Only band it doesnt support is 2300. Most company in hk use 900 1800 2100 or 2600.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Are you using android phone ? Can you download an app called LTE discovery and see what lte band is your sim 4g working on?

7350 mifi support 800 900 1800 2100 and 2600.
    Only band it doesnt support is 2300. Most company in hk use 900 1800 2100 or 2600.
    Just downloaded it. Please see below:

Just downloaded it. Please see below:

Looks like app doest run as intended. Maybe not compatible with your phone.

Looks like app doest run as intended. Maybe not compatible with your phone.
    Just tried to use same settings on my phone for the sim card, and still get 3G instead of 4G on my TP-Link MIFI.
    I guess I will just have to leave it.
    Thanks for your help.

Update.

I think I found the problem now. I should have described in detail earlier.
    What I left out is that I signed up for a supplementary sim as well (total 2 sim cards, 1 data and 1 data+voice). I planned to use the main sim for my phone and the supplementary sim for my MIFI device, so that I could connect this to 2 laptops.

I didn't actually think this would happen but when I swapped the sims over, it finally showed 4G on my MIFI, however on my phone, the 4G is gone and instead it shows a "H".

Not sure why one sim is 4G and the other is not, is this normal? If not I will be contacting China Unicom about it.

Main card 4G but secondary sim only have HSPDA (3G+)
    Does anyone know if this is true?

Main card 4G but secondary sim only have HSPDA (3G+)
    Does anyone know if this is true?
    It doest matter much as the max speed under the plan is 21mbps which can be covered by H+ standard. You can request them to switch the secondary sim to 4g, and primary sim to H+ as you will be using it on the phone only.
    shri likes this.

It doest matter much as the max speed under the plan is 21mbps which can be covered by H+ standard. You can request them to switch the secondary sim to 4g, and primary sim to H+ as you will be using it on the phone only.
    The secondary sim card has no china roaming option, only the main sim.

I plan to use the main sim for my phone and take that to china without having to bring my MIFI device with the secondary sim.

Say if I get them to switch the secondary sim to 4g, I am not sure if the china roaming will be switched over too?
    If not, then this would be perfect for me.

Heres an update.

I went to a different china unicom store today and described my problem to them.
    They told me that the plan I was on, shouldn't be able to add a supplementary sim which I did and they gave me 2 options.

1. Refund the added 38hkd/month contract for the supplementary sim.
    Or
    2. Continue to use the service with the secondary sim in 3G.

Also they said they can't switch the secondary to 4G.

I chose the 2nd option to leave it.
    Hopefully the speed isn't an issue for me as I plan to use this sim for business purposes.