New Broadband service - new to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Broadband service - new to HK

Hi,

Moving into a new apartment on Ma Wan - Park Island on Saturday. Looking into setting up internet. PCCW/Netvigator seem to be the suggested route. I am finding $228 per month is the cheapest available for a 24 month contract. Is that about right? Seems a bit more expensive than I was used to in the UK

What other providers should I be looking at? It appears HKBN is not available in Park Island.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

what speed are they selling.

That's for their cheapest option- 500M. All I need is basic surfing and to stream BBC iplayer and other TV

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    That's for their cheapest option- 500M. All I need is basic surfing and to stream BBC iplayer and other TV
    thats a good price as PCCW is the biggest service provider in HK, they do have a MONOPOLY, you're lucky you can get 500M, in Sai Kung District, many people pay HK$298 for 6M, yeah u read it right, ONLY 6M and that speed is on a good day, if its raining or during peak times the speed drops to 3M or lower LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    You do know that it is becoming increasing hard to stream iPlayer here? The Beeb is continually blocking various workarounds (UnoTelly's DNS, for example, has spent most of the last 2 weeks blocked).

And you were pretty lucky to be getting 500M for less than that price (or indeed any price) in the UK, where "superfast" broadband is defined as 24Mbps!

Thanks for your response. Re BBC - Yes am aware of difficulties but I am sorted and getting it ok at the moment.

On the 500M matter. Maybe you can enlighten a not very technically knowledgeable guy.

So in the UK I had a basic cheap service that gave me a download speed of around 4Mps. Now I know it wasn't fantastic but it served us ok for streaming on NOW TV.

What does 500M mean in relation to that then - will I be happy with 500M in comparison to what I was getting?

It means it's 125 times faster!

What is working for you for the BBC at the moment? Unotelly is down for me again (although ITVPlayer and Channel4 are OK).

I am using ExpressVPN. Working for all UK stuff. BBC occasionally doesn't work but if you select isle of man as your location it is fine.

OK - another question. Netgivator. Want to rent me a router - initially another $130 and now $70 per month.

Is it simple enough to buy your own router and use that instead?

Yes, no problem to buy a router. I will cost you less that $200 for one that is good enough for your needs as you described them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast