Like Tree22Likes

Apple Phone X - with wireless charging

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    They're skipping iPhone 9 (like Windows 9) now?

Poor Starbucks:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-...a-5-rotary-saw
    Well...Apple does have a history of following their competitors after analyzing their mistakes

I wasn't planning on upgrading but an iPhone 8 with this would be nice

VARV Table lamp with wireless charging - - - IKEA

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    What about it? It's great. I do it everyday with my Nexus 5. I find it sad that so few phones have it.
    It has been common on some phones for 6+ years and toothbrushes for 30 years. Hence Meh

I believe FaceScan is just one way to unlock your phone. I guess it still has fingerprint and key unlock.
    I used Facescan on SIII some time ago but the current default fingerprint scan on the rear of the phone is much better. As you pick it up it turns on. The X phone will not have finger print recognition

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I used Facescan on SIII some time ago but the current default fingerprint scan on the rear of the phone is much better. As you pick it up it turns on. The X phone will not have finger print recognition
    I wonder if FaceScan works with really bad light. Fingerprint does. FaceScan might be an issue in some situations, i.e. while driving, or you want to unlook without drawing too much attention.
    shri likes this.

I wonder if FaceScan works with really bad light. Fingerprint does. FaceScan might be an issue in some situations
    Apparently it works in the dark but will have to wait and see how effective it is in real-life conditions.

"Face ID is sophisticated enough to work in the dark, and to learn your face under different circumstances"

(How the iPhone X's facial recognition technology works - LA Times)

Whilst true that facescan has been around on other devices for years, its actually supposed to be pretty cool on the iphone X with new dedicated hardware and sensors built in to do the magic. eg it still works if you are wearing sunglasses or hats, it does NOT work if you are sleeping or dead.

There are 3 sensors in particular called dot projector, flood illuminator, and infrared camera that are supposed to do the magic.
    Name:  iphone.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  45.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Apparently it works in the dark but will have to wait and see how effective it is in real-life conditions.

"Face ID is sophisticated enough to work in the dark, and to learn your face under different circumstances")
    Imagine being shit faced and trying to open your phone in a dark basement disco bar in Wan Chai. probability of it working I reckon 10% lol
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Imagine being shit faced and trying to open your phone in a dark basement disco bar in Wan Chai. probability of it working I reckon 10% lol
    LOL! That's the time you LEAST need to be making random drunk-ass phone calls anyway. Probably for the best!
    chuckster007 and shri like this.

So what's the advantage over fingerprint? Isn't fingerprint unique enough?

So what's the advantage over fingerprint? Isn't fingerprint unique enough?
    Rumour is Apple couldn't reliably make the fingerprint ID work through the glass screen. So they had no choice but to go down the Face ID route.