Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cminds

Wechat wallet (HK)

Wechat wallet (HK)

For those using wechat wallet with the China region in RMB, this is great to use in China as so many places accept wechat payment.

BUT I am wondering, if I have HKD into my wechat wallet (which I do) what can I use this for? Even in HK the stores that accept Wechat payment only accepts payment using the China region wallet, so they use rmb and covert to hkd at the spot rate but they cant grab the money from my HKD hk region wallet. Well, at least at the several 711 that I tried at won't work. I have over 20,000$ hkd in this wallet and the monthly withdrawal limit is $8000.

Does anyone know how to get the money out or places I can use the money without having to wait for the next month's limit to be reset?

I can purchase in app store things, but none of those items are things I need.

Any suggestions?

Vrindavan likes this.

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Even in HK the stores that accept Wechat payment only accepts payment using the China region wallet, so they use rmb and covert to hkd at the spot rate but they cant grab the money from my HKD hk region wallet. Well, at least at the several 711 that I tried at won't work.
    I can't really answer your questions - but am surprised to hear you can't use HKD in 7-11. Really?? I tried using my RMB based HRP-registered WeChat account (tied to a Beijing credit card) in 7-11 but got the message that "only Chinese ID holders can make foreign currency transactions". Together with your claim, that implies only Mainland Chinese who are in Hong Kong can shop at 7-11 with WeChat? Sounds like a pretty pointless service to me, if that's the case.

Unless you're suggesting that an HKID-registered WeChat account can pay at 7-11 using the RMB wallet... but then most people don't have easy means to top that up. Equally silly.

I do have a separate HKID-registered WeChat account too, but without a supported bank account I can't be bothered to put money into it either. Now you've tempted me to try :-)

I haven't tried it yet, but I saw Maxim's has a HKD WeChat pay sign. You can also use to refill China Mobile HK

Quote Originally Posted by answerer:
    I haven't tried it yet, but I saw Maxim's has a HKD WeChat pay sign. You can also use to refill China Mobile HK
    Thanks, I'll try that later in the afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    I can't really answer your questions - but am surprised to hear you can't use HKD in 7-11. Really?? I tried using my RMB based HRP-registered WeChat account (tied to a Beijing credit card) in 7-11 but got the message that "only Chinese ID holders can make foreign currency transactions". Together with your claim, that implies only Mainland Chinese who are in Hong Kong can shop at 7-11 with WeChat? Sounds like a pretty pointless service to me, if that's the case.

Unless you're suggesting that an HKID-registered WeChat account can pay at 7-11 using the RMB wallet... but then most people don't have easy means to top that up. Equally silly.

I do have a separate HKID-registered WeChat account too, but without a supported bank account I can't be bothered to put money into it either. Now you've tempted me to try :-)
    I have two wechat accounts, both set up with HK phone numbers. Both have some RMB and some HKD in their respective wallets. I don't have a mainland ID card as I am a foreigner. Anyways, I wasn't able to use the HK wallet for 711 but can use the China wallet.

I'll try other stores, but I don't know where to try besides 711 and maxim

I've only just set up my HK wallet, so there's the China RMB wallet and Hong Kong HKD wallet. Not tried using it yet but I set it up without hesitating basing it on the experience I've had using it in China. Convenience is one thing but to me that's not the biggest selling point since people are accustomed to octopus here, but the fact that there will be more discounts in the future once WeChat pay is more accepted. How will they get locals in HK to accept it? Easy, from discounts, similar to ones they give out in China. They would randomly decide to give $3 off your coffee, or 2% off your groceries etc., so it's very generous.