Thoughts on CSL vs CMHK vs SmarTone Plans?

Closed Thread

Thoughts on CSL vs CMHK vs SmarTone Plans?

Hello all, I'll be staying in HK for 6-7 months and I plan on needing to make a few of calls and send some texts here and there, but I'd mostly like to be able to have connection on my phone when I move around.

CSL has a 90$/30 days option with 1000 mins, 800mb data, and unlimited wi-fi.

CMHK has a 30$/10 days offer for unlimited data.

SmarTone has a 88$/month package for unlimited and 2000 mins, but it comes with a 12-month contract.

I'd love to have your input on these companies, and please let me know if you know of any better deal!

I have the smarttone plan and it works well for me (unless you want to watch videos on your phone in which case it’s quite slow). And it did used to only be $77.

Its hard in Hong Kong to find any contracts for under 12 months. But if you don’t pay smartone they just cancel your number so i don’t think it'll be a problem

Hi we are on CMHK MySim, works out the best for us. HKD50 a month unlimited calls and intra SMS and then you pay bolt on for data. Depending on how much data you need, the cheaper it becomes. For example HKD400 for 20GB.

HKBN is another option that has a "Free to go bye anytime" plan for $100 per month. Powered by CMHK network.

@bdw - I thought HKBN was powered by Smartone?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @bdw - I thought HKBN was powered by Smartone?
    The HKBN $78 plan with 24 month contract is powered by Smartone. But the HKBN 'free to go' plans are powered by CMHK. They seem to use multiple networks depending on the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The HKBN $78 plan with 24 month contract is powered by Smartone. But the HKBN 'free to go' plans are powered by CMHK. They seem to use multiple networks depending on the plan.
    HKBN Licensed to Offer MVNO Services | HKBN

Thanks for the replies!
    @bdw: I read on another thread that HKBN had some issues with data being quickly used up. Do you happen to know if it's still a recurring issue?

... am I the only one remotely concerned that CMHK likely has backdoors to the mainland authorities?

Or am I naive to assume the [pro-government tycoon owned] local providers don't?