Like Tree86Likes

Is the iPhone X overpriced? Are current flagship phones overpriced?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Do not get a OnePlus

There isn't an Android phone out that compares to the iPhone X. All of Android's offerings are a few steps behind. The snapdragon 835 chip is a few generations behind the a11 bionic chip currently powering the new iPhone offerings. Actually the last year chip also beats the pants off the 835 chip in day to day usage.

The OnePlus is a phone that doesn't even deserve to get mentioned. There's nothing wrong with a 1080p screen, but their low quality cameras, horrible phone os and secruity updating record and private data mining backdoor practices are horrible.

Xiaomi is fine. I've owned a cheap model from back in 2015. Phone has never had a problem. It doesn't matter if you get the cheapest or the most expensive model. The cameras on those phones are all terrible. Even the newest mi mix 2 has a horrible camera. I'm comparing it to the 2015 Nexus 6p.

Google's Pixel phones. I could recommend either last year's version or the smaller pixel 2(2017) version. The 2 xl (2017) is plagued with problems. It seems as if each week since it's release, there have been massive screen, Bluetooth, audio, os issues. Stay away.

I hate to say it, but apple is the way to go. They also have a worldwide warranty. You can't beat it.

Sony is probably the best Android phone maker out right now when it comes to support and timely updates for their phones. They just really need to update the design and the camera software. Hopefully 2018 will be their year.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    If you look beyond the latest and greatest, the previous models can sometimes offer much more reasonable value. For example, the iPhone 7 can be had for $4,688.
    Agree. I always buy the older model 1 or 2 generations ago, works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Artlife:
    There isn't an Android phone out that compares to the iPhone X. All of Android's offerings are a few steps behind.
    Sorry but it's actually the other way around. In terms of technology, Apple usually lags behind Android.

iPhone X vs Android phones: 5 ways Apple is catching up - Business Insider

This thread was much more entertaining around the post #23 mark. Before careening into a boring Apple vs Android argument.

shri, DrWho, Mrs. Jones and 1 others like this.

I didnt think much about it until I drowned my Priv and needed a "quick solution" for a business trip the next day. I grabbed a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 for 1600HKD and assumed I would use it for a week or two until I did some research and decided what else to get. That was a couple of months ago and I have no plans to replace it now.
    The performance (speed) is indistinguishable from my other (galaxy and Priv) phones.
    The battery life is so much better its not funny - I would say this phone lasts perhaps 4x as long on a full charge as my Priv did, and I never turn off GPS/bluetooth etc like I used to on the Priv to try and save battery
    The screen is somewhat less "pretty" but it's perfectly fine for doing all the things I do, including watching movies.
    Having a dual SIM is really handy, as I want my Mum to be able to ring a UK number to ring me if she needs to.
    Really like the fingerprint scanner. its so sensibly placed (unlike the iPhone) so that you open up the phone just by picking it up.
    Never used NFC so I don't miss it, but that's another shortcoming.
    At 64GB, no need to install an SD card so my apps are more stable.

It doesn't have a keyboard, that's the only thing I miss. So yes - in answer to the OP's question - I think these fancy phones are utterly overpriced.

Last edited by HK_Katherine; 17-11-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Recent analysts estimate that the component costs of the $999 iPhone X come to approx $360. That's a decent margin even if you have to account for other expenses like research and development, software creation, advertising and distribution.

East_coast likes this.

It's not. That was an interesting link you put up. Fast charging with Android is still having a lot of issues. Check Samsung Note 7 and Google Pixel 2. Facial recognition is something that's been around from Samsung, but Apple has figured out a way to do it faster and in different conditions.

Less bezels are another thing Android makers did first, but with quite a few trade offs. See the first gen mi mix and the sharp phone for how those phones turned out.

Buying components from competitors is fine. Samsung's oled is the best in the biz, but with apple, Samsung had to make those screens to Apple's specifications. Check out reviews on which company has the best looking screen right now. You'll find reviewers mentioning the note 8 and LG's oversaturation and Google's countless issues with the screen on their new phone.

Why people get so worked up with the Apple v Android argument I just don't know.

Apple produces a good phone and likewise so do many of the Android manufacturers. It comes down to what users prefer to, well, use.

jmbf, jmbf, DrWho and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Artlife:
    It's not. That was an interesting link you put up. Fast charging with Android is still having a lot of issues. Check Samsung Note 7 and Google Pixel 2. Facial recognition is something that's been around from Samsung, but Apple has figured out a way to do it faster and in different conditions.

Less bezels are another thing Android makers did first, but with quite a few trade offs. See the first gen mi mix and the sharp phone for how those phones turned out.

Buying components from competitors is fine. Samsung's oled is the best in the biz, but with apple, Samsung had to make those screens to Apple's specifications. Check out reviews on which company has the best looking screen right now. You'll find reviewers mentioning the note 8 and LG's oversaturation and Google's countless issues with the screen on their new phone.
    Please, do continue. These are truly novel points and we've never come across Apple vs Android arguments on the Internet before.

I'm not worked up. I own an Android phone, but I just couldn't recommend one to anybody. The value just isn't very good Imo.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast