Like Tree17Likes

Smartone vs HKBN Home Fibre

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Question Smartone vs HKBN Home Fibre

I've inquired about home fibre internet plans from PCCW, HKBN and Smartone and it appears that Smartone offers the cheapest plan. I am not after ultra fast internet. I am good as long as I can use it to surf and stream videos (I know streaming depends on other factors). Occasionally, there will be 2-3 people in total sharing the internet connection at home.

Can anyone here using Smartone and HKBN home fibre provide feedback on their internet speed and customer service? Is their home fibre reliable? I have read super old threads but wanted to get a more recent feedback since I have never used Smartone/HKBN fibre before. I read that Smartone is using HKBN's fibre infrastructure.

Smartone (24-month contract):
    500M = 150 HKD /month
    1000M = 166 HKD / month
    Free installation

HKBN (24 month contract):
    100M = 198 HKD + 10 HKD (wifi) + 680 HKD (installation fee)

PCCW
    200M = 188 HKD + 38 (wifi)
    Free installation

I have SMARTONE 1Gb, switched from PCCW 1Gb 6 months ago. I find it much better for streaming eg. When using Netflix on PCCW it would take sometimes minutes for it to build up to full HD, Smartone does it in seconds.

Switched from HKBN 500 to Smartone 1000, haven't noticed any difference except the latter is a lot cheaper.

Smartone's fibre network is provided by HKBN.

imparanoic likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    The final offer was when the sales guy was getting quite stroppy was $368, the best was $218, for the 500 service.

Smartone $166 for 1000.

How's the customer service dealing with calls? I mean, probably you don't really need to call them, since it's HKBN's reliability there, but just wanted to know how good are they. I renewed mine with HKBN, just in case.

Any noticeable difference between 500M, 1000M, 2000M, etc?

Seems I have the option of PCCW, Smartone, HKBN in my new place.

Honestly if you're using WiFi - 500mbps should be good enough. If you have a connected device + have a very very decent router that can handle 1gbps and the servers that you're connected to can handle 1gbps (most cannot and will not deliver content at 1gbps - the last time I came close to this was a usenet provider that had a local server - peaked at about 600mbps).

pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Any noticeable difference between 500M, 1000M, 2000M, etc?

Seems I have the option of PCCW, Smartone, HKBN in my new place.
    Smartone and HKBN are the same technical infrastructure, Smartone just resells HKBN without bundling all this shit like MyTV boxes, home landlines etc that HKBN forces upon you. So if you just want a pure internet line for the cheapest price without all the bundled shit, then you can rule out HKBN in favour of Smartone.

PCCW is for many people the only option available, but generally overpriced. If you have the luxury of not choosing PCCW then I'd go with that.

So Smartone would be my choice

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Smartone and HKBN are the same technical infrastructure, Smartone just resells HKBN without bundling all this shit like MyTV boxes, home landlines etc that HKBN forces upon you. So if you just want a pure internet line for the cheapest price without all the bundled shit, then you can rule out HKBN in favour of Smartone.

PCCW is for many people the only option available, but generally overpriced. If you have the luxury of not choosing PCCW then I'd go with that.

So Smartone would be my choice
    Forgot to mention on the speed, there must be a sweet spot in the price if it costs almost nothing more for 1GB over 500mbps then go for it, but if its double the price tell them to fuck off! This should be more a financial decision rather than technical one.

Also Smartone have a Xmas/New year sale ending today where they are offering $1700 rebate plus a USB warmer blanket or some shit like this. You can sign up today and installation up until end of Jan if you havent moved into your new place yet. So stop messing around just sign up and get it over with
    pin likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast