Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lofuji
  • 1 Post By monomono

Will 2g phones work with local sims?

Closed Thread

Will 2g phones work with local sims?

I went to get a cheap backup phone the other day, I think it was a Nokia 105 or something similar sounding. The woman at fortress told me it would not work with a Hk sim because it's a 2g phone and all the local sims, even prepaids, are 3g and 4g.

I'm pretty sure she's wrong but I don't know much about this stuff and there were no other staff present at the time to ask about this.

99% sure it will work, at least for voice if not data. I'm on smartone and my phone falls back to 2G now and again.

-1983- likes this.

Surprisingly, Hong Kong counts about 3 million 2G subs (23 per cent of total connections), half of which are with China Mobile Hong Kong, which doesn’t have a 3G network. Nearly one in six of market leader CSL’s customers is on 2G.
    https://www.mobileworldlive.com/blog...-off-2g-or-3g/

have a 2G phone that I carry with me for use in an emergency while cycling. I get a new SIM card every year, and they always work. My latest is from 3.

MandM! likes this.

I remember when I first got a mobile and they always worked. Now with all the improvements coverage seems to be getting worse. Go figure. Maybe 2g is solid for phone calls.

Bought one in SSP yesterday. The guy gave me a funny look for asking three times if it would work with a HK sim. It works just fine. I usually get the Samsung phones as a backup but I wanted to try the Nokia this time. I don't know why I listened to that fortress lady but I'm glad I didn't buy it there, so much cheaper in SSP.

Hello,
    I'm looking at buying a GPS tracker but its only 2G compatbile.
    May I know which prepaid card did you use for your 2G phone? Would you know if a 3G card work and the swtich to 2G be automatic?
    Thanks a lot,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Benou:
    Hello,
    I'm looking at buying a GPS tracker but its only 2G compatbile.
    May I know which prepaid card did you use for your 2G phone? Would you know if a 3G card work and the swtich to 2G be automatic?
    Thanks a lot,
    Ben
    In post ... 3 HK

https://www.three.com.hk/website/app...10594&lang=eng

Thanks Shri, but it looks this plan is only voice/SMS but doesn't include Data (needed so my tracker sends the GPS location).