Like Tree5Likes

google voice phone number in HK ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

google voice phone number in HK ?

I travel between HK and USA very often and enjoy using google voice phone in HK, I am always wondering if there is similar thing in HK, a free or low cost HK phone# can be used either online or as an app, so that I can receive calls or sms via wifi when outside HK.
    How difficult to create such thing in HK if not exists?

Thanks.
    David

Question Did you find a solution?

I've been searching far and wide myself, and the only solution I've come up with is to buy a prepaid SIM card from CSL and then just keep adding value every 180 days. I haven't tried it yet, as I prefer an online service if there is one.

You can get a number from Skype - not sure about the pricing though
    https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA2...bers-available

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by davidchantf:
    I travel between HK and USA very often and enjoy using google voice phone in HK, I am always wondering if there is similar thing in HK, a free or low cost HK phone# can be used either online or as an app, so that I can receive calls or sms via wifi when outside HK.
    How difficult to create such thing in HK if not exists?

Thanks.
    David
    Try this and please update us on your findings
    Scroll down a bit and look for the Global Talk app

https://www.hkbn.net/personal/mobile/en/global-phone

From MS web site: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_accountms-skype_number/can-a-skype-number-receive-text-messages/22746868-1cd7-4a20-8a3f-b8fa1c462abb

Skype Numbers are mainly use to receive calls from mobile and/or landline numbers, they cannot be used to receive SMS.

I will purchase a HK skype number if it can receive SMS.
    mrman55 likes this.

Why not just use WhatsApp? Can get messages and voice on a phone on wifi when overseas without changing your number. Very cheap. Very effective.

Having a "real" number is very useful when dealing with institutions and companies, as opposed to regular human beings. I have had my UK virtual number from Skype for a few years now and a few times it was a life saver, because all sorts of organisations will not deal with you if you don't have a UK number on which they can call you. WhatsApp - what? Costs around 40 quid a year.

The SMS situation is a bit weird. The number they give you is a landline number. They obviously work with BT, since when someone tries to text you on that, the BT's text to speech service picks it up and calls you with a voice message, trying to read it. Better than nothing, but often hard to figure out what they want. I wish everyone switched to emails. It's 21st century, after all.

mrman55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Having a "real" number is very useful when dealing with institutions and companies, as opposed to regular human beings. I have had my UK virtual number from Skype for a few years now and a few times it was a life saver, because all sorts of organisations will not deal with you if you don't have a UK number on which they can call you. WhatsApp - what? Costs around 40 quid a year.

The SMS situation is a bit weird. The number they give you is a landline number. They obviously work with BT, since when someone tries to text you on that, the BT's text to speech service picks it up and calls you with a voice message, trying to read it. Better than nothing, but often hard to figure out what they want. I wish everyone switched to emails. It's 21st century, after all.
    I have a UK sim (dual SIM) in my phone for emergency calls from the UK. I wouldn't want many people having it as the vast majority of those living in the UK have no clue what a time difference is and would ring in the middle of the night. When I had a regular UK mobile that the company paid for and I travelled, I would sometimes encounter disbelief when I mentioned to someone calling that they had woken me up at 2am....

I don't know where you get 40 quid for whatsapp. I think I pay USD1! There are definitely downsides to having a UK phone number. I can understand why the OP wants a UK SMS service but I think you can get much the same from whatsapp as I don;t know many businesses that will text - anyone who will text can also whatsapp.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I have a UK sim (dual SIM) in my phone for emergency calls from the UK. I wouldn't want many people having it as the vast majority of those living in the UK have no clue what a time difference is and would ring in the middle of the night. When I had a regular UK mobile that the company paid for and I travelled, I would sometimes encounter disbelief when I mentioned to someone calling that they had woken me up at 2am....

I don't know where you get 40 quid for whatsapp. I think I pay USD1! There are definitely downsides to having a UK phone number. I can understand why the OP wants a UK SMS service but I think you can get much the same from whatsapp as I don;t know many businesses that will text - anyone who will text can also whatsapp.
    A single roaming call can eat up ten pounds in no time. But I also have a UK SIM for some scenarios (and in case I go back for a visit).

#40 is for Skype, not WA. The latter don't charge money at the moment. Nor do they give virtual numbers, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I don;t know many businesses that will text - anyone who will text can also whatsapp.
    Banks, utilities, courier companies use automated text messages (not from a mobile number).

Received a one-time password from a bank recently?
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast