Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Slow internet PCCW

Do you have to stick with PCCW as your ISP? There may be other providers who could provide you with fibre optic broadband connection to your building depending on your location and which building you live in. You should ask prospective ISPs, tell them where you live and whether there are faster connection speeds available. If they can give you a faster connection speed than PCCW and the cost (monetary and psychological) of signing up a new contract outweighs the termination of the existing PCCW contract then by all means go for it.

SSV

I had the same issue, old building so could only get PCCW 8mb.

Decided to get the 300 mbps (I think) 4G from CSL. Am using a router for the sim connected to my old router for better coverage.

I think the speeds are better, ~ 16mbps down, but the wifi tends to drop a lot. League TW I get ~ 80 ping but with spikes that make it quite unplayable.
    I haven't really tried to fix the issue yet as it tends to be fine for other stuff than gaming.

Not sure if the drops are due to the router or connections or what but its noticeably better after 1am

OP there are many people in Sai Kung district, usually villages, that would give their first born to have the speeds you currently have from PCCW. PCCW has monopoly in most villages.

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebravo
    Do you have to stick with PCCW as your ISP? .
    Hes probably in an older building where PCCW is the only ISP so he is at their mercy, same situation as most of the village houses in Sai Kung / Clear Water bay, PCCW has a very big Monolopy like flathunter said. if you're willing to fork out 10s to 100,000$ to pay pccw to install fiber then PCCW will willingly take your money or else they dont care if you have slow speed or not.

or instead of pocket wifi, get a cell phone plan with unlimited data, turn on the Mobile Hotspot sharing function and then connect your computer to the phone through either built in wi-fi or a wi-fi dongle.

I believe that's what people living in villages with slow internet connection do.

USB tethering is faster than Wifi hotspot.

sinespe likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2