Help! What to do for TV and Internet in Hong Kong?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by thinkingofhk:
    @HK_Katherine

Sheeeeit! The Cable TV Premier HD thing seems to have many US channels. Probably a South-east Asia version of those channels, or tape-delayed, then? Any particular IPTV services you can recommend?
    US and UK channels - you will be watching Season 1 of things that are showing Season 3 in the USA.
    Decent shows - only after 11pm at night. That's apparently "peak viewing hours" here. (I basically went to bed before any of the decent drama shows - that were perhaps only one season delayed - showed).

Have a look around for a smart TV that let's you watch Netflix and US streaming sites - presumably CNN etc have live news feeds etc now. You can get your entertainment from Netflix and news from CNN (or Fox, depending on your IQ!)

If you get a SmartTV, the UI should be wife-friendly - single remote, no messing around with multiple boxes/inputs etc.

Hi chuckster, the building I'm going to rent an apartment at has HKBN, Netvigator and iCable. Good building, I suppose! But thanks for the tip. I'd die with an 8 mbps internet.
    Having these ISPs in the building you are going to rent means nothing, you need to check if there are still any more ports available for you. If all the ports, say for HKBN, is taken up, you won't be able to sign with them and will have to wait until someone else in the building no longer uses their line.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Having these ISPs in the building you are going to rent means nothing, you need to check if there are still any more ports available for you. If all the ports, say for HKBN, is taken up, you won't be able to sign with them and will have to wait until someone else in the building no longer uses their line.
    Do agents at MTR exits or online (via chat) know this information at signing time? Or is it only after the installation crew visits the building?

The latter situation would be an absolute nightmare, since there would be no guarantees whatsoever until one has plunged real $$ into renting a place. With my prospective address, can agents online tell if ports are free?

Do agents at MTR exits or online (via chat) know this information at signing time? Or is it only after the installation crew visits the building?

The latter situation would be an absolute nightmare, since there would be no guarantees whatsoever until one has plunged real $$ into renting a place. With my prospective address, can agents online tell if ports are free?
    They won't be able to tell until the installation guy turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    They won't be able to tell until the installation guy turns up.
    That sucks. Any ideas then on how to avoid renting at a building that does not have a fast Internet service? A few properties I've been looking at are:

- Island Crest
    - University Heights
    - Merton
    - Belcher's
    - Residence Bel-Air (ugh)

I really want to avoid renting at a place that has no fiber (for lack of overall availability OR ports), so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The assistants at the shop can refer to their database on availability of ports. The guys at MTR exit can also call their service centre with your address/floor info and get the information.

from my recent installation experience, they can >>
    - at your level you can check if the building has the provider lines
    - at their level they can check if there are ports available

I remember i don't need to have the exact floor for the check, just the block and the address will do.
    but be certain to check 'how many' are available. it might be quite irritating if there is just 1 port and by the time you rented the place the port is being used.

Hi I am a local and wish to give you some advise here. First Now TV is under PCCW, worst service you can get. Prices and plans may seem ideal. But once you sign the contract, it's the beginning of your nightmare. I am on and off with them for years, had to be with them only because there was no other choices at all in certain area.
    If you search in Chinese(if you can), you will see how horrible their company is.

Internet service: becomes extremely slow at night, As slow as 56k(if you are old enough to know what it is), when you call CS at night time, they said technical support is off, then when you call during office hour, of course speed is normal. So you can never make a valid complaint.

Set-up/cancel pick-up/repair appointments: never show up in scheduled time. they need to ditch you at least once, and claim that they cannot contact you, where you got no phone calls from them at all. so you spend hours waiting at home and no one comes. many times from PCCW. always like this.

Cable service: okay, so so. seriously, what about Netflix and Youtube or other online channels? Really no need cable services in HK.

Please do watch the end of your contract date. Must spare more than 1 month to call and cancel, or they will make you pay more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2