Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Proplus

People Who Buy the Phone from New Mobile Service Plan

Closed Thread

People Who Buy the Phone from New Mobile Service Plan

Hello,

Wanted to see if anyone was familiar with this practice. I went to a CSL branch earlier today to get a new mobile service plan. I was only looking for a SIM-only plan since I already have a phone.

The sales rep suggested that I get a phone + SIM plan contract instead and have a person outside buy the full amount of the phone in cash. Based on what he showed me, this would give me a discount on the monthly fee + an okay amount of trade in rebate.

The question I have is around the "person". The sales person said the way it works is for the client (me) to go outside and get the cash for the full amount of the phone. I would pay that cash in the store then give the phone to the person. This feels extremely shady because the person is unaffiliated with CSL. She did, however, have a banner stand set up next to where she was sitting (I couldn't read what it said since it was in Chinese).

Is anyone familiar with this practice and what risks (if any) are involved if I was to take up this offer?

Quote Originally Posted by eastisred:
    This feels extremely shady because the person is unaffiliated with CSL.
    Walk away quickly from that CSL shop.

Plenty of other sim only deals around.

actually quite common this part of asia.. i have signed and sold away two iphones (in singapore though) to the shop at the corner of the telco distributor... and usually not to that extent of getting someone else to come in to pay.. you can just pay for the phone walk out and sell it to someone nearby collecting phones.. check online see where are the more 'reputable' cash purchase shops..

phone companies generally sell you the phone cheaper if you have a contract.. priced into your card.. so if you sign for the 2 years required, then getting the phone is the more economical deal..

With most contract that comes with new phone, you normally have to pay for additional useless services during the contract period. That's how they make their money. Even if you sold your phone with a good price, you're still stuck with a 2-year contract with obligation to buy those useless services for 2 years.

You're better off with the sim-only contract.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    i have signed and sold away two iphones (in singapore though) to the shop at the corner of the telco distributor...
    The time of big iPhone mark ups are over. I wouldn't bother now.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    The time of big iPhone mark ups are over. I wouldn't bother now.
    i actually sold them after the mark-up period.. i.e. strictly to extract the value in the 2y contract (which i would have signed anyway)..
    but that said, i don't know what are the contract terms in hk and how much they are worth.. do your own due diligence..

I pay around $105/month for a throttled LTE SIM only contract with smarttone. Works fine for me.

My current plan was taken out this way, the buyer is a reseller and you will get your stated money.

At the end of the day, you can do the maths yourself, if the current deal works out at less per month then another plan, then go for it. There's nothing dodgy about it, they've taken out the hassle of you finding a person to sell to, and have it done at a stated price.

shri and eastisred like this.