Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mobile Service Termination

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    you cannot port this number out of CMHK until the contract is fulfilled.
    You actually can. It’s just the instance the porting application goes through, you have acknowledged to terminate the existing contract and have to pay liquidation charges.

I'm on a $88 unlimited Smartone plan, it's limited to 2 Mbps but I have absolutely no problem watching YouTube in 480p.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono
    I'm on a $88 unlimited Smartone plan, it's limited to 2 Mbps but I have absolutely no problem watching YouTube in 480p.
    My point is I am paying for 4.5G services and am getting 3G speed. I might as well pay less. Currently, my bill is 188 a month.

If I wanted lower speed, I might have gone for a sub $100 and not complain. I am paying for a faster service so it’s normal to be disappointed.

EDIT: I think smartone also has better coverage now that I am researching.

Quote Originally Posted by Srashes
    You actually can. It’s just the instance the porting application goes through, you have acknowledged to terminate the existing contract and have to pay liquidation charges.
    Off course I know that but you were talking like you could just move your number to another carrier without paying diddly squat LOL as long as you know you need to pay $$$ then I have nothing further to comment. Best of luck dealing with CMHK, hope they let you off easily

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Might be a location issue - I'm happy (and perhaps one of few) with my CMHK connection via HKBN.

And for what its worth even 4mbps should be able to get you decent video quality from youtube / netflix. Our VPN barely manages 3-4mbps to the US and I can comfortably watch Netflix / YouTube / Amazon Video on that connection.
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS. For me it was all or nothing using HKBN on CMHK. Either it was acceptable slower than Smartone and 3 in terms of throughput with an initial higher lag of latency or it was completely unusable which I suspect was when from a network prioritization being pushed to the bottom and/or pushed onto 2G.

On another note, I looked at OpenSignal. They break maps into 4G and then 2G/3G. They don't breakdown 2G and 3G separately.

Can anyone confirm if CMHK is 2G/3G/4G or primarily 2G/4G?

from wiki:

"As of May 2018, CMHK provided network service 4.5G, 4G LTE (LTE FDD and TD-LTE), 3GHSPA, GPRS and EDGE."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMHK

Can you see opensignal maps on your computer? or are the maps only available on mobile now? Any alternatives? would make it easier to post.

Just an update, CMHK customer service is by far the best compared to my experience with 3HK and "PCCW". They followed up promptly and asked for me to continue using their service for a few more months while they improve the coverage around my area. If I still have issues after a few months, they agreed to void my contract.

Hope they can actually improve their coverage around here as I am happy with their customer services.

Quote Originally Posted by Srashes
    Just an update, CMHK customer service is by far the best compared to my experience with 3HK and "PCCW". They followed up promptly and asked for me to continue using their service for a few more months while they improve the coverage around my area. If I still have issues after a few months, they agreed to void my contract.

Hope they can actually improve their coverage around here as I am happy with their customer services.
    Hope you got that in writing!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Hope you got that in writing!
    I didn’t. They keep calling me when I email them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2