Like Tree7Likes

Where to get best deal for buying smartphone in Hong Kong?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If you are currently on a plan, check your provider. hubby and I bought from Smart tone as they had existing customer discounts. Some of the phones are priced very attractively and you will definitely save a lot compared to Fortress/Broadway.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I’m trying to buy a new phone and have to share my experiences today at Sin Tat Plaza (Sincere Podium).

Am trying to get a S9+ because although it’s not recent it’s as good as recent ones plus at a good discount (around $3000). Well if I can find one...

First of all using price.com.hk hasn’t been a good experience. I tried to reserve at 3 vendors all with good reviews to find they don’t have them available (in one case I even checked a couple of days back via WhatsApp and he apparently sold the last one!)

So I just went to walk around and see. For info, I bought my Note8 from a shop here a couple of years back and it was genuine, with genuine Samsung warranty and have had no problems with it.

I paid money down for one, guy opened the box and I could see it was effectively a used phone (it had a small dent in the top)that had been reboxed. And in a fake box too - I found a YouTube video to spot fakes and this failed on many counts. The man repaid my money straightaway.

Went to another stall, said they had it in stock to then waste 10 mins finding out they didn’t.

Last shop said they’d do me a deal and got a unit. Looked at the box and again could spot it was a fake box so didn’t even bother opening it.

So to conclude, if you’re buying a phone that isn’t very recent then I think Sin Tat largely is repacking old phones. I suspect they are genuine but in fake boxes because it’s clear they are not out of the factory (if you know what to look for like barcodes, wrapping, quality of the box and materials, etc)

To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. Think I’m going to look at getting from Citylink where I know they sell genuine phones (albeit not the S9+) which are either grey imports or HK versions but with 18-month warranty.

If anyone has any other tips I’d appreciate it!

TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shahrie:
    I’m trying to buy a new phone and have to share my experiences today at Sin Tat Plaza (Sincere Podium).

Am trying to get a S9+ because although it’s not recent it’s as good as recent ones plus at a good discount (around $3000). Well if I can find one...

First of all using price.com.hk hasn’t been a good experience. I tried to reserve at 3 vendors all with good reviews to find they don’t have them available (in one case I even checked a couple of days back via WhatsApp and he apparently sold the last one!)

So I just went to walk around and see. For info, I bought my Note8 from a shop here a couple of years back and it was genuine, with genuine Samsung warranty and have had no problems with it.

I paid money down for one, guy opened the box and I could see it was effectively a used phone (it had a small dent in the top)that had been reboxed. And in a fake box too - I found a YouTube video to spot fakes and this failed on many counts. The man repaid my money straightaway.

Went to another stall, said they had it in stock to then waste 10 mins finding out they didn’t.

Last shop said they’d do me a deal and got a unit. Looked at the box and again could spot it was a fake box so didn’t even bother opening it.

So to conclude, if you’re buying a phone that isn’t very recent then I think Sin Tat largely is repacking old phones. I suspect they are genuine but in fake boxes because it’s clear they are not out of the factory (if you know what to look for like barcodes, wrapping, quality of the box and materials, etc)

To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. Think I’m going to look at getting from Citylink where I know they sell genuine phones (albeit not the S9+) which are either grey imports or HK versions but with 18-month warranty.

If anyone has any other tips I’d appreciate it!

A few of my visitors have fallen for this sort of thing. It's quite common for these shops in Sin Tat,SSP, WC, to ask for a deposit on an older phone or camera, promise to have it within a few hours or days and then claim it's out of stock so they can try to sell whatever they have in stock at a much higher price. With pricehk, I find a lot of vendors will keep listing old products to draw you in despite not having any in stock. Sounds like you got your money back so but I don't imagine it was a fun experience.

These days I can't be bothered to go bargain hunting for phones or electronics as it's more trouble than it's worth whatever you are able to save. You'd be surprised what good deals you can get with legit vendors like fortress and broadway as well as providers when it comes to some older models. I recently got caught in a rainstorm and had my phone die on me. I ended up getting an S10 from smartone for 3700 last month which was 500-700 cheaper than any other legit place selling it. I just happened to pass by and ask around, it wasn't actually listed as 3700 on their website.

Anyway, if you decide on buying from Citylink, make sure you know what kind of warranty you are getting. I'm quite sure their products are grey market and they are not that much cheaper than stores that stock items with proper warranties. In fact I was checking out some smart watches and wireless earphones last month and all the models I was looking at were the exact same price as most other places that sell official goods.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by -1983-:
    A few of my visitors have fallen for this sort of thing. It's quite common for these shops in Sin Tat,SSP, WC, to ask for a deposit on an older phone or camera, promise to have it within a few hours or days and then claim it's out of stock so they can try to sell whatever they have in stock at a much higher price. With pricehk, I find a lot of vendors will keep listing old products to draw you in despite not having any in stock. Sounds like you got your money back so but I don't imagine it was a fun experience.

These days I can't be bothered to go bargain hunting for phones or electronics as it's more trouble than it's worth whatever you are able to save. You'd be surprised what good deals you can get with legit vendors like fortress and broadway as well as providers when it comes to some older models. I recently got caught in a rainstorm and had my phone die on me. I ended up getting an S10 from smartone for 3700 last month which was 500-700 cheaper than any other legit place selling it. I just happened to pass by and ask around, it wasn't actually listed as 3700 on their website.

Anyway, if you decide on buying from Citylink, make sure you know what kind of warranty you are getting. I'm quite sure their products are grey market and they are not that much cheaper than stores that stock items with proper warranties. In fact I was checking out some smart watches and wireless earphones last month and all the models I was looking at were the exact same price as most other places that sell official goods.
    Thanks for the tips, appreciated! I have bought a phone through CityLink before and found them to be pretty good (at least from the North Point branch). Am looking now at the S10 and they're selling for $4200 which seems OK...

...until you mentioned your deal at Smartone. Will definitely go past some of the phone shops and see what I can find! Out of interest which branch did you pick up yours?

Thank you

I bought by Xiaomi brand new from some guy on Carousell. He has a few models all 10-20% cheaper than the Mi store. After a couple of days the screen went pyschadelic but I could get it fixed for free under warranty at the Xiaomi service center in shatin.

Quote Originally Posted by -1983-:

Yes Grey imports, hence the lower price...

CSL were running a promotion to business users previously.

It was around 15K of vouchers for phones, but you had to sign a family package (2 to 3 numbers) and pay around $800 per month on a 2 year contract. I can't remember the full details....

Quote Originally Posted by shahrie:
    Thanks for the tips, appreciated! I have bought a phone through CityLink before and found them to be pretty good (at least from the North Point branch). Am looking now at the S10 and they're selling for $4200 which seems OK...

...until you mentioned your deal at Smartone. Will definitely go past some of the phone shops and see what I can find! Out of interest which branch did you pick up yours?

Thank you

I got mine at Causewaybay. I forgot to mention you will need someone who has a smartone plan. Any plan will do. My friend's son who is on the lowest monthly plan had to sign a one year contract with them that did not affect his existing plan or require any additional fees.

Thanks everyone for the tips, very helpful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2