Like Tree5Likes

Where to get best deal for buying smartphone in Hong Kong?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to get best deal for buying smartphone in Hong Kong?

Hi guys,
    I have been around Mong Kok looking for a new smartphone (I'm still deciding between a XiaoMi, Samsung or Iphone) and what surprised me that looking around the shops you can have a considerable difference in price for a same model phone.

I don't remember exactly the name of the place but there's a kind of a small building around Nathan Road in which they sell also second hand phone... but looking at the prices there I can buy for example a Samsung A9 even 1000 HKD cheaper than a normal shop around Mong Kong streets.

I'm wondering ... where is the scam??
    Are they new phones ? They told me they have HK warranty only..

Any suggestion of shops/ malls where I can get the best price for smartphones?
    I'm shortly going to Japan, is cheaper there buying a smartphone?

Cheers

Sin Tat Plaza on Argyle is where I bought mine.

Check for cheapest phone on price.com then choose a well reviewed seller and look up their location...

Thanks for the tips!

The price difference you see is between so called Parallel import (grey goods) which are cheaper and sometimes at least 1K cheaper and distributor goods which has Manufactures warranty, the grey goods dont have manufacturer's warranty, they can only be fixed by the shops own fixers.

I would not look for a discounted phone. Buy from Broadway or Fortress. You'll get free gifts and assurance that you are buying a real product.

I've seen shops buy used phones, buy boxes and shrink-wrap them right in front of customers view in sin tat. A great place to sell phones but I would never buy one there.

Also you never know if they changed some of the interior parts.

babediboopi likes this.

OP asked about the best deal not where to pay full price. "Gifts" are whatever cheap cases or accessories that happen to be directly under the counter. I bought a laptop at Fortress, much pricer than a cell phone, and they give you squat.

Not saying all the sellers at Sin Tat are selling 100% legit goods but I got mine from a seller there and it's still functioning flawlessly.

The price differences are like Park n Shop and the wet market discussion in another thread. You're paying for the prime real estate and the franchising fees...that's why its $1000 more, then the small cell shop with street access is a bit less and the guy in the shoebox on the 12th floor is even less...

Unless price.com is entirely bogus the grey market prices are shown next to local ones and not really so enticing when considering the warranty.

Also got a sweet camera lens found via price.com, anything swapped out or "off" and it can't be hidden when you look at the image quality. Was substantially less ($2000) than Broadway! Registered for warranty without issue on manufacturers website.

Sure you can buy with confidence but you'll pay extra for the convenience. Saving requires a little research and more careful inspection. Admittedly I was skeptical of these places when I first arrived but real deals do exist...

shri and xflyerx like this.

You can buy a demo phone from Broadway. Often times half-price.

Mi I would buy in the Mi store and others I would check the price online on "Price".

With Chinese phones I would be careful with grey phones. I don't want a China ROM under no circumstances. Some you can't flash them.

This said, I bought my Mi Mix 2S 2nd hand on DCFever.

shri likes this.

For the brands you mentioned, there should be very little price difference.

Xiaomi - There should be almost no price difference because you pretty much can only buy from Xiaomi or Fortress and they're making almost no money from the hardware anyway. The China models may be slightly cheaper due to exchange rate but may result in software difficulties. Just buy from the Xiaomi HK store

iPhone - Maximum 10% price difference (corporate discount). Any more and something is fishy.

Samsung - If there's a 1000 HKD price difference, I would be cautious.

babediboopi likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast