Like Tree23Likes

Beware of 3 (Hutchinson) sales tactics

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    It was retail. It was sold as "home broadband" though so presumably they understand the need for a decent allowance! CSL.

FUP is the same anywhere even outside HK, 3G/4G plan whatever company it is will always have some catch for data capping and throttling.
    You can try to ask other telecoms like CSL and Smartone, they have the same plan.
    The way it was presented is always sketchy to lure in new ignorant customers.

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher:
    FUP is the same anywhere even outside HK, 3G/4G plan whatever company it is will always have some catch for data capping and throttling.
    You can try to ask other telecoms like CSL and Smartone, they have the same plan.
    The way it was presented is always sketchy to lure in new ignorant customers.
    No this is actually new in HK. There was much more real unlimited a few years back. I still have a SIM from that time, its unlimited. (but was never that fast - about 380kbps, which is good enough for me most of the time)

No idea what my usage is but i've never noticed a decrease in speed. We mostly use our internet for watching TV - BBC, C4, ITV, Netflix, downloading films, listening to music. so I would assume that is quite high usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    No idea what my usage is but i've never noticed a decrease in speed. We mostly use our internet for watching TV - BBC, C4, ITV, Netflix, downloading films, listening to music. so I would assume that is quite high usage.
    Which SIM?

I did not make up the number, I went on line and looked at my usage statistics!!

Quote Originally Posted by natron:
    I did not make up the number, I went on line and looked at my usage statistics!!
    OK so you used 1.4GB recently. Does this mean the customer service rep on the phone did not tell you anything about your allowance being 1.4GB as you seem to imply in your first post? What exactly is your plan, how much do you pay, what is the data allowance, are you subject to FUP (fair usage policy) which may or may not reduce speed after the limit, or is there a hard restriction to 128kbps once reaching the limit? Is it a 1GB plan or something and after this throttled to 128kbps? 1GB is quite low, but there are plans like this available. For example, Birdie has a 500MB plan for $48 per month which also runs unlimited at 128kbps after you use the intial 500MB (which would run out in a day for many people).

I'm not defending 3 here and maybe they are a bunch of scumbags, but if you really would do anything from keeping new customers from signing with them you better explain more clearly what is the issue.
    shri likes this.

For example, Birdie has a 500MB plan for $48 per month which also runs unlimited at 128kbps after you use the intial 500MB (which would run out in a day for many people).
    Which is why I asked - how much is the OP paying for this plan.

More detail on my complaint. I have been a "3" customer for many years

I have a dual sim phone and 2 numbers for my use for several years, one line had a 2 GIG limit and the other had a 4 GIG limit, that way I would "never" run out of data as I could switch accounts for data if one ran close to the limit. A sales rep called me when these contracts were up (I was paying about $ 250 a month for each line) and offered me "unlimited high speed data" if I would agree to a new 2 year contract for a total of $198 per line. I did not "sign" a contract, just agreed and confirmed by giving them my HKID number.

Having patted myself on the back for getting a "good deal", I removed one of the SIMs and moved it to a USB Dongle so my netbook would have its own dedicated line and my phone would have only 1 line after the new contract started. I went online with the App from 3 in my phone and read "UNLIMITED" as my data plan in effect. After it started, I went back to 3 personally and upgraded my phone and sat there and verbally verified with the agent that all 3 of my contracted lines had "unlimited data" and no one ever mentioned any data speed cap after reaching any threshold.

While I was sitting there, I mentioned that I was still getting text messages that I was approaching my data limit (I used to get those any month before so I would switch data lines) and the agent told me to just disregard because it was a problem in their computer.

I was only told about the Fair Usage cap when I called the hot line the other day to inquire why my data was slowed down to a crawl.

HK_Katherine and shri like this.

sorry - didn't realise this was discussing SIM internet. I was referring to home broadband.