Coming from the Philippines where available choices of cell phone services/plans are much less, the glut of plans available in Hong Kong simply boggle my mind. I hope kind citizens of Geoexpat will help me by answering some questions:
1. Am I bound to an IDD service depending on the mobile phone service I’m using. E.g., PCCW uses IDD 0060 but can I register with 1010’s IDD 1718 or other available IDD service?
2. If I make a long distance call using an IDD service, aside from paying for the service charges will the call minutes be counted against my monthly call allowance as well or is it independent of each other?
3. Can I use international phone cards with my cell phone? Will it be counted against my voice call allowance?
4. Any suggestions on the best IDD service for calls to the Philippines/Manila?
5. I noticed a lot of “intra” and “inter” prefix for SMS but not for voice calls. Does this mean voice call allowance is regardless of the service provider; i.e., if I’m using PCCW with an allowance of 1000 minutes per month, I can use these minutes to call 1010, Smartone, Three, etc.?
6. There are choices for 3G, 2G and 2.5G service plans. I know they are data service but any reason why plans are based on the data service? Here in Manila, I use Globe service. I automatically have access to 3G/2G/2.5G/GPRS/WAP depending on the unit I’m using not on the service. Does this mean that if I subscribe to a 3G service and I replace my phone with a non-3G one, I won’t have access to data service?
Thanks in advance for all the responses.