Like Tree5Likes

Unlimited mobile data plan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unlimited mobile data plan

Hello,

I'm looking to subscribe to a local data plan. Would be grateful if you can tell me which carrier got a speedy data network and the pricing for such plan. I'm little lost as what to look for. I notice that most carrier got a disclaimer which indicate the speed would slow down once exceeding 5GB. Which to me doesn't make sense. As it is not a true unlimited data plan.... Thank you ahead for your insight.

5gb @4g speeds usually cost $78 per month from most telecom companies in hk. In these plans, after consumption of 5gb monthly data allotment, the speed is lowered to 128kbps. Even though this plan is advertised as being unlimited, it is merely a sales tactic and would come under fire in other countries but this is hk and consumer protection comes second to greed. If you are looking for faster data, I'd suggest you to shop around 3hk, china mobile etc and ask them if they are happy to offer you unlimited 4g plans @ 21mbps for about $150/month. These companies dont openly advertise such plans due to lower profit margins, so unless someone Specifically asks them, they won't disclose them to you.

markranson likes this.

I am using CSL Family Plan - where we have 5 numbers assigned to us and I pay 150-177ish a month. depending on if have any roaming Data charges for other countries.

Coming to speed. I have used up to now and still have 2 days until cut-off:

What I use the data for?
    1. All my Social Media
    2. Netflix
    3. Youtube
    4. Sometimes I would need to update some website remotely, I would then download/upload content on my phone either FTP or SFTP(SSH)
    5. Web browsing
    6. MUSIC - Spotify / Savaan / Ganna

The connection is at 4G but it does suck depending on location on MTR it wont work from Kwun Tong to Kowloon Bay or few stations on island Line. Otherwise, it is pretty fast and stable (given my Netflix usage).

Family Plan can be anyone - Friends can sign up too - If not then $366 per month (Pay on time and keep your record clean to get a free phone* every year)

Those $78 plans slow down to unbearable. I would get a true unlimited plan at $220/month. No point to save $140 and you can't use your phone.

Unless you never use video, social media, or gaming then 5gb is ok.

Unlimited data is only good for apps including whatsapp, wechat etc and non video web browsing.

Very happy with my $78 Smartphone 2 Mb/s unlimited plan.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Unlimited data is only good for apps including whatsapp, wechat etc and non video web browsing.
    I have dual SIM and with one sim ($78/month), I cannot load/send photos or videos on WhatsApp after hitting 5gb. Once that contract is up I'll port the number over likely.

@lovehunter, I am currently in the Sun Mobile 96HKD plan. I'm interested in checking up on that CSL Family Plan that you mentioned. You said a fair bit already but do you have anything else to add? Have you tried other plans before to compare their service and reception levels to?

Thanks.

I wonder if their plans have changed:

https://www.hkcsl.com/en/csl-multi-user-service-plan/

I have used CMHK the $5xx package which included roaming DATA to 11-22 countries (don't remember correctly) @ 10Gb fast and it slows down afterward. Was pretty good and did worked in different countries. As for Hong Kong, it has a similar problem of weak signal in some parts of the MTR (not as same as the CSL I mentioned earlier)

I had to switch to CSL once I left that job. (Company provided)

I would choose CSL if I have to spend my own money. Just passed my cutoff date and starting from 0MB I will try to go over 100GB this month.

Rayzilla likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast