Like Tree17Likes

Best mobile provider?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

if you get CSL, it comes with CSL Auto connect which will link up to the 1000s of free wifi points across the city so that can be a plus point if you use a lot of data

shri likes this.

Hi Roy,

I recently did a bit of investigating myself into mobile plan options and to summarise, I'd say that Birdie is a solid option. (I am a Birdie user myself) It seems like the best option for yourself considering you just want good voice and data which, in reality, is what most people are looking for. The best thing about Birdie is that you're not tied down to a contract so if you don't like it, you can jump ship and try something else. I think their 12GB 4G option would work great for you. It's HK$140 per month which is cheap as chips!

Here's a couple of links for further reading

https://www.navigatehk.com/home/2019...parison-2019-1

More info on Birdie

https://www.navigatehk.com/home/2019...n-in-hong-kong

RoyM likes this.

Great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyM
    Great, thanks!
    Not suggesting that this is the case - however, the internet is LITTERED with people recommending some providers over the others - just so that they can hand out referral codes.

"Best" - cheaper, faster, better ...
    RoyM likes this.

My existing contract with CMHK is up for renewal. They emailed me an offer, so I went on their website to look up what else is there. New post-paid subscribers - 4G LTE local plan - 6GB data & Unlimited local call minutes = HKD 108 / month (includes waiver of $18 / month for tunnels and MTR fee). To simply put, all in cost per month of HKD 108/month (24 month contract). I have run out of my 6GB allowance maybe 2-3 times in my 24 month contract, my plan reduces my speeds to 128kbps (very basic usage) .. but its free! till my month resets (only had to go 2-3 days).

Rob2020 and RoyM like this.

I have been using Smartone for years and am happy with the rates/service. My company phone is CSL and since I don't handle the administration I can't say but as a user it is good but I don't pay the bills. Just avoid Hutchison "3" like the plague - they are a bunch of crooks. Dealing with 3 is like trying to cancel cable TV in Hong Kong.

RoyM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Not suggesting that this is the case - however, the internet is LITTERED with people recommending some providers over the others - just so that they can hand out referral codes.

"Best" - cheaper, faster, better ...
    Not the case, here. Ive used multiple providers and Im simply suggesting what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    I have been using Smartone for years and am happy with the rates/service. My company phone is CSL and since I don't handle the administration I can't say but as a user it is good but I don't pay the bills. Just avoid Hutchison "3" like the plague - they are a bunch of crooks. Dealing with 3 is like trying to cancel cable TV in Hong Kong.
    Man, Three are the worst. I didnt take their call when my contract was up for renewal, so they decided to continue my contract, well, everything on it except internet usage so they could charge me full whack. Ended up with a bill in the thousands. A quick phone call got it rectified, but Id say the same. Stay away from Three.
    jonastainine and RoyM like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkishbuyer
    Man, Three are the worst. I didnt take their call when my contract was up for renewal, so they decided to continue my contract, well, everything on it except internet usage so they could charge me full whack. Ended up with a bill in the thousands. A quick phone call got it rectified, but Id say the same. Stay away from Three.
    Yeah they did the same to me. Renewed the contract without contact me. Or they say they tried. Really? And when you go over the data allowed the extra bits are sky-high. I'll take the responsibility for that one but it is still robbery. Smartone does not renew the contract when it expires. And when the data reaches the contract limit they stop the service and then call you repeatedly.

So my wife tells me: Hutchison is a Li Ka Shing company so expect such unethical practices.
    pinkishbuyer likes this.

So my wife tells me: Hutchison is a Li Ka Shing company so expect such unethical practices.[/QUOTE]

Ha, my wife tells me the exact same. Li Ka Shing doesnt have the best reputation, ha ha.

jonastainine likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast