Like Tree17Likes

Best mobile provider?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best mobile provider?

Does anyone have any good recommendations on a mobile voice and data provider? OR recommendations on which ones NOT to use?

I recently arrived and bought a China Mobile HK prepaid SIM, so am using that number so long. (Thanks to these forums I've worked out how to get texts in English!). I can either upgrade this to a voice/data package, or get another one if there are much better deals out there?

Thanks.

I am using Birdie. Coverage is good. Best part is no fixed contract. HK$90/month nets you 5GB LTE data and 3000 mins. You can look from other plans as well.

RoyM likes this.

Thanks! That sounds like a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyM
    Does anyone have any good recommendations on a mobile voice and data provider? OR recommendations on which ones NOT to use?

I recently arrived and bought a China Mobile HK prepaid SIM, so am using that number so long. (Thanks to these forums I've worked out how to get texts in English!). I can either upgrade this to a voice/data package, or get another one if there are much better deals out there?

Thanks.
    you are not being specific enough in terms of saying BEST

do you have a HKID? so you can get post-paid contracts?
    Are you looking for bundles the include phones? or are you looking for just a SIM?
    you don't list your voice and data requirements
    you don't list if you travel
    etc etc

that all being said - tech guys here like Synology NAS, Asus routers, and Birdie sims
    bdw, RoyM and z754103 like this.

Thanks. Yes, I will have a HK ID (next week) and visa etc. Won't be travelling that much. And have a new phone (with dual SIM).
    So really just THE BEST and pretty inexpensive contract for fairly standard daily voice and data requirements :-)

there is no standard daily voice and data
    there are contracts for 100 mins 1000 mins 3000 mins 5000 mins etc
    there are contracts for 500MBs a month and contracts for 5Gb 8Gb 10Gb etc.

how much money do you make? meaning is 50 a month inexpensive to you or 500 a month inexpensive to you?
    I don't actually want you to say how much you make. Just saying inexpensive could mean different things to different people

Birdie also has a cheaper 1000 mins and 500MBs plan for 48 a month. Birdie is the online only MVNO of Smartone

good luck

RoyM likes this.

If you can survive with 2-3GB data and about 200 voice minutes a month, check the recent thread on 3HK International Supreme Card. $160. Valid for a year. 30GB 4G data + 20GB Social media data + 2000 voice minutes. After the end of Year 1, port to another service. Works out to $14 a month.

RoyM likes this.

Best is probably CSL or Smartone. If you cross border than CMHK is convenient (FB/Whatsapp in China if you have China Data). Though now other providers are also providing cross border data as well. I am tempted to try the low cost ones but ultimately can't be bothered LOL.

RoyM likes this.

Thanks everyone, some good options here. Will investigate.

I have used Birdie since new year. I am pretty happy with connection and speed. The advantage is no contract and for the similar speed I was quoted a little more expensive charge by Three with 2 years contract. Interesting they charged my company only 68hkd for the same plan I asked quote for whereas as individual the quote was around 150+

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast