Like Tree50Likes

Phone Astrophotography

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TigerSun:
    Moon over KT tonite.

Tell you what... I've 'know' you for a decade and you've gone from 'okay' as a photographer to 'fucking wow'...
    TigerSun likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Thanx, but I owe it all to iphone. For the Andromeda shot, not sure if it was using a small tripod, a Chinese version of this:
    Name:  manfrotto_mtpixi_b_pixi_mini_table_top_1371472720_983551.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  23.3 KB
    or just lay the iphone propped on a scarf on the ground as I was doing both that night. The settings used the Nightmode maximum tripod setting of 30 seconds. You will see the stars are just starting to leave a trail. The original output has a sky which turns out fairly bright; you have to use the iphone Edit to blacken the sky yet retain the stars. I play with the first seven edit adjustments (including brilliance, highlights, shadows & contrast) with significant adjustment to exposure, brightness and blackpoint. I rarely will use a bit of saturation where I know there is actual colour present such as the blue Pleiades.

Best of luck and let us know how things progress.
    Last edited by TigerSun; 30-06-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    jrkob and AsianXpat0 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    That's a good shot, especially considering the difficulties of shooting thru binox.
    Are you sure about the moons?.. Sky & Telescope shows that last night the moons as you pictured would be Ganymede, Io, Europa (Callisto would be way out there - just slightly out of frame at 2 o'clock in your pic).

Good Jupiter moon tracker… tap the +/- hour or day buttons to animate:
    https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-conte...s/jupiter.html
    Last edited by TigerSun; 06-07-2020 at 01:34 PM.

If you view tonight, check what you see thru the binox to see how it jibes with the Sky & Tel site... might have to press the inverted button at top? But pretty sure Calisto is out of frame as its fairly slow moving compared to the other moons.

Yes there are a number of phone to binoc or tele adapters... would take some fussing but should work OK, I'd use a remote with the phone or a 3 sec timer. You might try a ND filter to knock down Jupiter to capture moons better?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3270...%237565%23755_

Nice! I find sometimes that haze or thin clouds acts like a filter for bright objects.

Original Post Deleted
    Sorry, i had setup and aligned the gear, moved the camera to the lens, and the clouds had moved in

If you visit the page below, you’ll see fair representations of the best performance shooting Jupiter & Saturn with an ETX 70, 90 & 125. To get a shot like ‘annsi’s’, you have to do a lot of work: use a high magnification lens like a 6mm - the etx 70 comes with a 25mm (14x) which gives you a shot similar to your binocular image and a 9mm (38x). He also used a 2x Barlow AND did stacking of 22 images on the computer. I would suggest if you are thinking of an etx, i’d go with the substantially better 125.
    Weasner's Meade ETX Guest Gallery
    Last edited by TigerSun; 08-07-2020 at 07:05 AM.
    jrkob likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast