Like Tree14Likes

Phone recommendation please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Phone recommendation please

I don't keep up with the phone market, as it just changes too quickly. But it's time to think about replacing my current phone. Any suggestions for, in order of preference:

Stock android, or near near stock. No fancy skins or UI experiences
    Decent rear camera
    Bright screen for outdoor use (I'm guessing this means OLED)
    No weird screens that curve around the edges
    Cost... well... not iPhone prices, so up to 5K? Cheaper is better, phones are consumable/breakable items

Check out the LG thinQ. The phone has a metal side and loud speakers. Camera is solid.

Huawei and Xiaomi also have good products.

jgl likes this.

Still on my Xiaomi A2 ... works perfectly fine, meets all your criteria. The A3's resolution is technically not as good, but the Mrs likes it as well.

MandM! and jgl like this.

You do not need to keep up to date with changes.

I use an expensive iPhone from a few years ago. It is still going strong and works well. I expect to use it until it finally wear out, or until Apple kills it with planned obsolescence.

IOS > Android based on my experiences.

If you are fixed on Stock android (very likely considering the geek you are ), definitely Xiaomi A2 or A3
    if you are not too keen on too much geekery, have a look at this great value for money phone..

https://www.mi.com/hk/redmi-note-8-pro/

BTW, i am using Redmi Note 5 and must say Xiaomi's system and security update service is still excellent..

Last edited by nivantj; 14-11-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    jgl likes this.

I am still on my iPhone 6, I was considering an upgrade to an iPhone 8, but I will see if I can get another year out of this old phone.

bdw

Just updated my company phone from an iphone 6 to Samsung A50s (new model just released last week, not the A50 that was released 6 months ago). It's fairly budget friendly at only $2.5k. Big bright screen without the weird curves. Also has the Samsung pay that integrates with Octopus and also Wellcome give $40 off groceries on weekends everytime you spend $500 with Samsung Pay so I can get the cost of the phone back after 62.5 weekends of buying family groceries

I'm still getting used to transition from ios to Android. 5 years ago I went from Android to ios, now back again. Each time I find annoyances I wish I had kept my old phone, but I think over time will get used to this new one.

I only chose Samsung because for work need a bit of reputable brand and service level. But if it was for myself, I would probably go with the Xiaomi. Something like the Mi 9 I think is a good choice. But you are a bit late posting this, Xiaomi had an 11/11 sale from 7th to 11th November just ended a few days ago. You should have bought then. Never mind they usually have another one or two sales before the end of year I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Stock android, or near near stock. No fancy skins or UI experiences
    Decent rear camera
    Bright screen for outdoor use (I'm guessing this means OLED)
    No weird screens that curve around the edges
    Cost... well... not iPhone prices, so up to 5K? Cheaper is better, phones are consumable/breakable items
    Nokia 8.1
    OnePlus 7T
    shri and jgl like this.

LG, company is directionsless but products have good quality components that last, G6 2years counting and V30 1.5YRS, friend just gave up his G3 after 5yrs....

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal
    LG, company is directionsless but products have good quality components that last, G6 2years counting and V30 1.5YRS, friend just gave up his G3 after 5yrs....
    Agree on LG being taken out of anyone's consideration set.
    Cornmeal likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast