Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By TheRoadAhead
  • 1 Post By loser
  • 1 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By vyral_143

Why getting into 24-month mobile plans when you can just go prepaid?

Why getting into 24-month mobile plans when you can just go prepaid?

I pay $140 a month with Birdie for 12GB and I can cancel anytime. I checked CSL etc. they lock you in for 2 years and you only get 6GB data for the same price, and you're not saving any money with the purchase of a new phone. Seems logical to go prepaid and buy your phone cash. Am I missing something?

chuckster007 and CharSiuNow like this.

I am with you on this - no real need.

The only reason we're on a plan is to get shared data between 5 numbers. As far as I could tell, not possible with the current Birdie type platforms.

Sounds good, makes sense for families. And maybe if you can bundle it with your home internet plan as it may decrease the cost but not sure about that

I use KK CSL promo $198 for 3 months with 15GB data/mth on a 4G network. Thats $66/mth. Even if i push data limit, the throttle speed still enough to play 1080p videos, have Facetime etc. You can't go wrong with prepaid.

https://web.three.com.hk/prepaid/int.../index-en.html

I moved back to HK in March this year, and I bought this pre-paid for $148 (you can get them cheaper in SSP market), below its face-value of $198. I have not had to top it up at all this year. I use it to surf the net, whatsapp, facebook, skype, and I must say the 50gb, combined, is very generous and it does not expire in 30 days like alot of the other providers.
    shri likes this.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    I am with you on this - no real need.

The only reason we're on a plan is to get shared data between 5 numbers. As far as I could tell, not possible with the current Birdie type platforms.
    Birdie has p2p data sharing. I have 4 numbers, one with 15GB data and the others with just the basic package. The one with 15GB can give data to the others as needed. Granted is a bit of messing around using the app rather than just all sharing from one pool, but its still quite nice.
    shri likes this.

@bdw - whats your average spend with those numbers? Too late for me to look at, I just signed up for a CMHK family plan for 5 SIMs.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    @bdw - whats your average spend with those numbers? Too late for me to look at, I just signed up for a CMHK family plan for 5 SIMs.
    I have similar but quite different arrangement for Birdie. Me and my wife both are on $38 plan (1000 mins + 300 MB data). More data can be bought from Birdie at $10/GB or from Carousell for like $6/GB. I toggle around with data in each of ours account. Average spend would be about $60-70/month for each of us.
    shri likes this.