Like Tree22Likes

New phone time?

Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    13,783

    New phone time?

    So the Samsung S20 range has been announced. Looking pretty solid phones. Should be around USD1k - 1.6k depending on model.

    BUT the interesting thing is they are keeping the S10 range in production AND reducing the price.

    I've had my S9 for over a year now and I bought it second hand. Has been fine, but the battery is starting to take a knock and am running out of storage (can't make use of the sd card slot as I use it for dual sim).

    Previous phone was One Plus.

    Clearly first world problems, both One Plus and Samsung are solid phones and would be happy with either.

    BUT Samsung has the following (which for me I like): Smart Octopus and wireless charging.

    BUT OnePlus has the following (which for me I like): Great updates, clean UI.

    With the price drop of the Samsung S10 range AND the ability to get a rebate from Samsung of about HKD1k for my Samsung S9 AND the various credit card rebates going on at the moment I could potentially get a Samsung S10e for around HKD3k which I think is an amazing price for the phone.

    Yes, first world problems, but, well, live in the first world.

    robertlempriere likes this.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    596

    Xiaomi.


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    13,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe
    Xiaomi.
    Care to expand which Xiamoi?

    Also isn't the UI terrible? What about updates?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Hong-Kong
    Posts
    6,037

    The battery of my old S6 was dying and I bought the S10e, 3 weeks ago. These little phones are awesome .

    pin likes this.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    30,736
    Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Care to expand which Xiamoi?

    Also isn't the UI terrible? What about updates?
    Son who is far more of a power user than I am is extremely happy with his Poco. A new one has been launched recently in India. Not aware of the specs etc..

    Poco UI - different, not bad.
    Poco Camera with Google sodeloaded software looks good.
    imparanoic likes this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,312

    Look, I love Xiaomi - but for higher end I would not recommend them, despite specs, their photo quality is not up to Samsung/Apple standards.

    Poco - best bang for buck CPU performance, but see above concerning camera.

    S10e is SUPER value. With the upcoming S10 price reduction, the main question will be to get the bigger one or the regular one..
    I got the Note 10+ last year and it's the biggest phone I've carried yet... but I do like the screen ALOT, the extra real estate makes a difference to me as I am reading quite a bit on the phone.

    And Samsung still has the killer app, Samsung Pay, so there's that too..

    pin likes this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    13,783
    Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Look, I love Xiaomi - but for higher end I would not recommend them, despite specs, their photo quality is not up to Samsung/Apple standards.

    Poco - best bang for buck CPU performance, but see above concerning camera.

    S10e is SUPER value. With the upcoming S10 price reduction, the main question will be to get the bigger one or the regular one..
    I got the Note 10+ last year and it's the biggest phone I've carried yet... but I do like the screen ALOT, the extra real estate makes a difference to me as I am reading quite a bit on the phone.

    And Samsung still has the killer app, Samsung Pay, so there's that too..
    I have never really been a person who likes a big phone screen wise, but am always jealous of my wife's Note 9.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Hong-Kong
    Posts
    6,037

    I have some questions about my S10e.

    1) when I got it, the salesman at the shop said this S10e has 2 cameras on the back, while the normal S10 has 3. Sorry for asking but why so many cameras and is 3 really better than 2 ?

    2) on my old S6, I had a notification light, telling me for example when I receive an SMS. The notification light would flash until I read the SMS. With my S10e, I have the notification light, but it will only flash for a few seconds. For how long the notification light flashes can be adjusted with the EdgeLighting+ app, but the longest I can have it flash is like 5 seconds. Completely useless.
    Is there a way to have it flash like before until I read the SMS , meaning indefinitely, without using a third party app ?


  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    13,783
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    I have some questions about my S10e.

    1) when I got it, the salesman at the shop said this S10e has 2 cameras on the back, while the normal S10 has 3. Sorry for asking but why so many cameras and is 3 really better than 2 ?

    2) on my old S6, I had a notification light, telling me for example when I receive an SMS. The notification light would flash until I read the SMS. With my S10e, I have the notification light, but it will only flash for a few seconds. For how long the notification light flashes can be adjusted with the EdgeLighting+ app, but the longest I can have it flash is like 5 seconds. Completely useless.
    Is there a way to have it flash like before until I read the SMS , meaning indefinitely, without using a third party app ?
    Re camera: I guess different cameras do different things. One will be for normal focus, the other for depth field. The new S20s are going to have four cameras.

    Re notification light. Sorry, no clue.
    jrkob likes this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,586

    Huawei P30 pro, battery is one of the best in it's class compare to S9 which is average, also use NM card (but it's more expensive than sd card) for storage expansion. best aspect best camera phone of 2019 and tech used in S20 ultra is not too dissimilar what they used in P30 pro, camera co designed with Leica, also supports all high bitrate/resolution standards, ie, ldac, aptx hd, bluetooth 5

    according to Gsmarena battery test, iphone x has similar battery life to s9, around 76 hours, but on p30 pro, it's 100 hours, try the battery scale yourself

    https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3


Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast