Best IDD service to call the US with?

Question Best IDD service to call the US with?

I understand most people in HK tend to use cell phone apps, but for the people who call US phone numbers directly, which IDD service offers the best value? The calls are normally once or twice a week for about 30-40 minutes. Thank you in advance!

I use Skype- for about 250 HKD per year, I have unlimited calls to US mobiles, landlines, etc. Canada maybe as well, I don't call Canada. I use it for work (calls to US government agencies) and personal (calls to family) and utterly reliable these days. Can use it on a mobile phone or just from the computer- I use a headset so it doesn't sound like I am in a tunnel. I used to be a large consumer of IDD about 10 years ago but now Skype is really the way to go. If you are not sure, they have pay-as-you-go options (something cheap per minute); try it for a few weeks, then decide if the 250 option is worth it for you.

Thanks for your reply MABinPengChau. This would be for my parents, who do not use Skype or apps of any kind. I believe they are still using EC Telecom's 1507, which offer extortive rates. Would you have any other suggestion?

Who is your cell phone contract with? We are with CMHK and their calls to US are about 55c per minute (1597 calls)

If your parents have a landline (the kind of things parents tend to have) then you go with the IDD provider associated with them- I had NowTV, and Internet and landline (back in 2009-2012) and used the IDD EXTENSIVELY and it was super cheap. Even factoring in the cost of the landline- our office phones (also PCCW) use an IDD number and it's cheap. They all seem to be good. My mobile phone has some cheap IDD option (Smartone).

You can install Skype on the mobile and just press a button to call to whomever, also dial like a real phone, even most older people can do it. Easier than dialing in all those IDD codes.

My coworker (local Chinese) says you can even use other IDD services on any landlines.

I still use 1666, ex CTI, now HKBN. Not sure the cost, because it's so low I don't really bother. Below $200/m and I think unlimited calls to many countries. Quality is OK. I also use 1666 on my mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot
    I understand most people in HK tend to use cell phone apps, but for the people who call US phone numbers directly, which IDD service offers the best value? The calls are normally once or twice a week for about 30-40 minutes. Thank you in advance!
    IDD calls are so third world. Routed over the Internet anyway. Why not just ask the other party to set up Zoom and both of you can speak that way. Or use paid option such as Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC
    IDD calls are so third world. Routed over the Internet anyway. Why not just ask the other party to set up Zoom and both of you can speak that way. Or use paid option such as Skype.
    third world? i assume most people in the third world would have access to a cell phone than a land line.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0..._figures_2017/