Like Tree13Likes

Phone addiction- never witnessed b4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Phone addiction- never witnessed b4

I walk into that Indonesian store/eatery and an Indonesian is fumbling with her phone, showing the food choices to her friend and chatting, when I wave my hand in front of her and say hello to catch her attention she thinks I am also talking to her friend on the phone and continues chatting to her.
    When she needs both hands to actually grab some food she puts the phone vertically on the table, slowly adding food to her plate while talking to her friend. Keeping up the ppl waiting in line.

And I thought I am way too much online

jgl and HK_Katherine like this.

jgl

Abbreviations used and formatting choices... did you post this on your phone?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Abbreviations used and formatting choices... did you post this on your phone?
    No, from my phone

Once, I went to a clinic in Central (Integrated Health Center). There was a Filipino lady (or so I assume) at the reception busily engaged with her mobile phone. I didn't immediately call her for her attention and for a few minutes, hanged around the front desk area checking out the materials laid out on the tables ( doctors and their info, plus many other articles). Even then, she was hell bent to continue with her private "business" (she was talking and talking in her native language). When not talking she'd just fumble with the buttons of the damn thing (chatting perhaps) with a broad smile broader then the width of our tiny Hong Kong . And when I finally interrupted her hesitantly with an "Excuse me!!" She looked at me like she was just out of a deep hypnosis.

I had every intention to recommend her for a mind rehabilitation.

What's more. The boomers think the younger generation is badly addicted to mobile phones; In reality, they're no less than us as shown by that very lady ( not a boomer but somewhere near the boomer generation).

Calling out Indonesian and Filipinos... feels slightly racist.

What about the locals who walk around with their noses buried in Candy Crush, Pokemon Go, or watching a Korean drama?

Or expats posting on geoexpat from their phones?

I think the issue is the interplay between using the phone when you should be doing something else. I play on my phone on the bus/MTR/at home/when eating with husband. On the other hand, when in a business meeting/shopping/eating with anyone other than my husband/walking down the street/hiking .... the phone is put away. Simple really!

nivek2046, jgl and Natfixit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:

What about the locals who walk around with their noses buried in Candy Crush, Pokemon Go, or watching a Korean drama?

That's different. I mean what the locals (or any others ) do with their phones when they're not dealing with another human is entirely their own damn business. But to ignore a customer (or a person who's trying to communicate with you) because you're busy on your phone is of course annoying and a matter of concern ( such addiction is an annoyance). If you want to exhibit your "antique" , you're free to do so but not when others need your attention.

Also, I wasn't being specific to a race. The incidence happened that just involved the race you think is being targeted. I'm myself an "addict" to a certain extent but not to that extreme limit which causes another living being a nuisance .
    jgl, Morrison and angeluscomplex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:

funny you should say that. Read an ad in the classified section of geoexpat for a domestic helper which explicitly mentions no phone usage during working hours. So basically not between the hours of 6am and 10pm.

What a prick of a would be master
    angeluscomplex likes this.

I am not sure whether I just noticed this since coming to Hong Kong or whether it happend in the UK but I didn't notice....but

I am amazed that is is ok for staff at work, being paid, to use their phones whilst 'on duty'. It seems to be acceptable here if you are a worker in a shop, restaurant etc. Places where you should be interacting with customers. Often I see people presumably meant to be selling phone contracts and the like in pedestrian areas but they never seem to look up from their phones. Do they get paid for that?

Morrison likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    LOL after 30 years I think he's happy not to have to make conversation!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast