Like Tree27Likes

SIGNAL APP?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    Reading about Telegram, which had become the de-facto tool of choice by the anti-ELAB movement, it doesn't actually sound all that secure. Any reason that was chosen over signal at the time? Or was Signal not mature enough then?
    I always wondered this. Their cypher was never public, which is a dangerous game to play (security though obscurity). Cyphers need to be public, and publicly audited. Telegram never was. Now the Russians allow it again, with the excuse that it was too complicated to block. Suuuure.

The only benefit of Telegram is that you can converse with people without them knowing your phone number and it supports groups with hundreds of thousands of people. There's also a broadcast channel function which Signal doesn't currently have.

In terms of encryption and meta data collection, Telegram is inferior to WhatsApp and Signal.

In summary, Telegram is great for organising huge groups of people in public, Signal is best for conversing with people you trust.

shri, tparker and irisboards like this.

... reading a bit more, it seems Signal can't do broadcast messages? That was one of the big parts of the movement, with various channels you could join. Perhaps that was it.

Anyways have just installed Signal. Will try it out :-)

Whatsapp works around the world because governments can tap it, as soon as an messanger is tough to tap, goverments like China Russia etc will not allow it to function.... If whatsapp was uncrackable I can assure you many countries would be blocking it....

The interesting part of whatsapp to tap is is the group chat function. which last time I looked had very easy to break security flaw and any goverment can listen in. Also the end to end encrption for 1 to 1, I would also take that with a little pinch of salt too... even though it uses the same protocol as Signal.

Despite Snoden assuring us that Signal is secure and run by good guys, as far as I recall it resides on US soil and that means under the patriot act they have to hand everything to the CIA, regardless of how honorable the founders are.

personally I will give Signal a miss too.

Probably time to have a look at swiss messanger Wire a look again...

More importantly in these times is to setup a your own VPN service on some US$5 VPS provider outside HK and tunnel all your traffic out regardless of messanger you are using...

You can look a swiss messanger Wire....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2