Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Srashes

Sell a mobile phone contract to escape it?

Sell a mobile phone contract to escape it?

No broadband coverage in the new shop. Fastest we can get there is 6mbps theoretical. This is a commercial shop with optical fibre in the same building but residential building above. That's as slow as my CMHK 4.5G mobile so we went to CSL. It's only good enough for teaching one student over Zoom. That's barely good enough.

So we looked through all the mobile options. Talking with the sales rep my wife and the rep assured me that this 4.5G plan is fast enough for zoom at 600mbps. I questioned why there's such a big difference between my 6mbps and told her it sounds too good to be true. When I suggested we should test the sim before signing she told me I need to trust people.

She signed up a 2 year mobile contract for a faster connection.

Just tested the connection today. I'm getting 2mbps max. This might not even be enough for one student. It's useless.

Is there anything I can do to get out of this mess? The contract is worth over $7000hkd. Perhaps I can sell it on a forum like this for half price and reduce the loss?

A couple of things.

- Check your contract and with CSL to see if they have any cooling off period - not optimistic about it!
    - Wander around the Sham Shui Po computer centers to see if you can find a high gain router which can be used, say closer to your windows etc

Put an ad up here as a last resort..

https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/con...hone-contracts

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueUserName:
    Is there anything I can do to get out of this mess?
    Get a stable wired connection in your commercial shop.

There’s an app called OpenSignal which you can use to test which mobile operator has the best mobile signal strength for your location. Obviously if a telecoms provider has a cell tower close to you, then that provider will probably offer the strongest signal for you.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Get a stable wired connection in your commercial shop.
    Max 6mbps 'No coverage'

We called out engineers from 2 of the big providers. I wasn't able to see the actual network junction box but as I understand it, even though we are on the same building plot, there is some kind of line on the ground between the residential and commercial that we can't run a cable over so we can't get from our shop to the junction box.

We went to CSL and they were able to get 50mb/s in the shop. My phones all support 4.5G as far as I know but it must be some kind of phone issue. Thank goodness!

Thanks for the tip on OpenSignal. I checked that before actually and it was generally OK in all areas we looked at. As far as I know, it's not signal strength. Would be nice to see a way to check signal strength on the phone before buying the card though.
    On top of the 4.5G signal you have the ISP routing, which includes contention both with other users on that cell (think slow service inside the tunnel) and at the ISP level itself.

Hopefully we can just get a solid 4G router and that'll be good enough. Maybe run an external antenna outside too.

Moral of the story - always check for broadband coverage before you sign the rental agreement

Out of interest, what do you think "4.5G" is?

There are some good Sim routers available, I have an ASUS 4G-AC68U which is quite good, which I used when I was fed up with Netvigator 6Mbps. if you've got a good signal it's worth having a look :-

https://www.asus.com/hk-en/Networking/4G-AC68U/

https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=284868

https://grouptestwinner.com/4g-lte-r...rouptest-2019/

There are probably some newer LTE routers on the market. I would recommend looking at ones over $1,000

Updated for 2020

Have a look at the Mid Range to Premium models:-

https://grouptestwinner.com/best-4g-lte-router/

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...-wi-fi-router/

Update:
    Went with a CSL contract in the end. It's usually at 7mb/s, which is just about good enough for 2 students over zoom.
    Tethering an old phone has been working absolutely fine so far, surprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueUserName:
    No broadband coverage in the new shop. Fastest we can get there is 6mbps theoretical. This is a commercial shop with optical fibre in the same building but residential building above. That's as slow as my CMHK 4.5G mobile so we went to CSL. It's only good enough for teaching one student over Zoom. That's barely good enough.

So we looked through all the mobile options. Talking with the sales rep my wife and the rep assured me that this 4.5G plan is fast enough for zoom at 600mbps. I questioned why there's such a big difference between my 6mbps and told her it sounds too good to be true. When I suggested we should test the sim before signing she told me I need to trust people.

She signed up a 2 year mobile contract for a faster connection.

Just tested the connection today. I'm getting 2mbps max. This might not even be enough for one student. It's useless.

Is there anything I can do to get out of this mess? The contract is worth over $7000hkd. Perhaps I can sell it on a forum like this for half price and reduce the loss?
    You can get out of your contract without paying liquidation fee - As long as it was a service only contact.

I've done it twice already. What I did was email them before getting a contract so I had written proof they claimed i will get 300-400mbps. I never bothered checking the speed for the first few months and when I did after 6 months within the contact period (with 18 months remaining), i was barely getting 1-2 mbps at my residential address. While I was getting full speed in MTR..etc, my question was specifically around my building before I signed the contract.

Emailed them back saying they breached their contract and they immediately offered to cancel my services and asked me to port out my number with no extra charge.