Like Tree94Likes

The cheapest and fastest data in HK for $33?

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

I cant even remember the last time I sent an actual SMS.

Receiving them is not a problem and free at but why would you need to send one out??

rainylin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    I'm with Smartone postpaid and just checked, inter-network sms is $0.60, if you are on Smartone prepaid sim, inter-network sms is higher at $0.70. Then I had a look at Birdie's charges - also $0.60, think it's bec. they use Smartone network. So SoSIM still seems relatively a bit cheaper.

Unrelated to inter-network sms charges... but I've been considering to switch to Birdie for a while and may likely port my number to Birdie in a few months when I leave HK as I have only heard success stories from members using Birdie overseas, NOT heard any success story with using SoSIM overseas...
    Wow...I stand corrected, I guess. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I cant even remember the last time I sent an actual SMS.

Receiving them is not a problem and free at but why would you need to send one out??
    Hmmm our helper is a bit old fashion and she likes to use a burner phone with SMS only. No other communication method

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    Hmmm our helper is a bit old fashion and she likes to use a burner phone with SMS only. No other communication method
    Ah now I understand LOL mate you need to tell her to upgrade to whatsapp or some other app, mine carries two phones no idea why but 1 Iphone and i Samsung, maybe to deal with two BF's
    timonoj likes this.

Thanks for the thread.

Like others with Birdie at the moment.

This plan looks like a winner, the speeds are the same as Birdie and even with votle and VM add-ons it's still cheaper and get more data.

Our Birdie billing date is the 6th of the month, so if we were to port we should do it a few days before the 6th?

I haven't had any issues in receiving SMS messages from banks and other companies that feel like they need to send me SMS messages. I received one SMS from a real person, and then I messaged that person back through WhatsApp for free without any issues.

I think I'm ridiculous enough to not be willing to communicate with any individual via HK SMS messages. However, I ported my US number to Google Voice over 9 years ago, and I have sent and received plenty of US SMS messages for free with people that are less inclined to use WhatsApp.

I'm content with SoSIM, and the port in process from my way too old SmarTone postpaid plan was great. SmarTone just prorated my monthly fee for the one extra day I used it after paying for the previous month.

I also went to Sky100's 5G Lab recently, and if you want 5G, well feel free to pay for the benefits you hope to receive. If 4G is decent enough for you, SoSIM's 33HKD for 30 days or their 88HKD 90 day plans are hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Our Birdie billing date is the 6th of the month, so if we were to port we should do it a few days before the 6th?
    Mine was 25th; I got SIM on 22nd night and submitted porting request. It was ported on night of 24th between 1-4AM (technically 25th).

Now both mine and wife's number are ported out from Birdie to SoSIM.
    pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    Mine was 25th; I got SIM on 22nd night and submitted porting request. It was ported on night of 24th between 1-4AM (technically 25th).

Now both mine and wife's number are ported out from Birdie to SoSIM.
    Thanks. Picked up sims today.

Was the porting process all online and easy over to Birdie? I presume you need to download the app and have the sim installed?

Thanks. Picked up sims today.

Was the porting process all online and easy over to Birdie? I presume you need to download the app and have the sim installed?
    Yes, porting process is entirely on their app. Steps I followed are;
    1. Activate SIM by putting it in handset; call your other number (Birdie's) so as to know number of SoSIM.
    2. Download SoSIM app; login using OTP.
    3. From SoSIM app, initiate Porting Application. It will ask your name, existing provider - Birdie, SIM type - monthly fee contract and photo of your HKID.
    4. Review and submit to get acknowledging SMS.
    pin likes this.

There is nothing stopping me from getting the SIM, adding HKD200 top up (giving me 1 year validity) and then not signing up to the data right?

That way I just get voice calling (which I am fine with for my sim).

There is nothing stopping me from getting the SIM, adding HKD200 top up (giving me 1 year validity) and then not signing up to the data right?

That way I just get voice calling (which I am fine with for my sim).
    I think they will deduct $33 as by default package.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast