Like Tree60Likes

The cheapest and fastest data in HK for $33?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Not exactly that but there have been instances where I went through a signal dead zone and the data didn't connect back immediately, causing all sorts of nutty behaviour until I went to airplane mode and back to reset all the network connections. Their coverage doesn't seem to be top nothc but for what they charge, it's a minor inconvenince.

rainylin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    VoLTE gives better quality voice calls? Are there any other advantages?
    Supposedly having the VoLTE package allows you to access data while you're on a call. If you don't have the VoLTE package, you can't use data while on a call.

Has anyone noticed service degradation ? For example; my WhatsApp calls get into 'Reconnecting' mode every now and then. I was even considering to move back to Birdie or other provider

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    Has anyone noticed service degradation ? For example; my WhatsApp calls get into 'Reconnecting' mode every now and then. I was even considering to move back to Birdie or other provider
    Generally the service has been OK. Not great, but not terrible. Taking the price into consideration its acceptable.

However calling can be very hit and miss on VoLTE. I only use it for voice calling, my wife uses it for data. We have had a few times where there is no connection in congested areas.

Did not notice degradation but it would always spontaneously disconnect for me so I switched providers.

It's good enough for me, but it's not great. I think many people have access to WiFi most of the time, but if you want the most reliable and fastest mobile internet in HK, SoSIM will come nowhere close to giving you that.

If you want to pay 88HKD for 90 days of okayish calls and decent enough mobile internet most of the time, then SoSIM can be worth a try for 33HKD and for a 30 day trial. If it works well enough for you for one month, it will likely be good enough to pay 88HKD for 90 days, but if it's not then try something else.

To each their own.

What LoganH says is sensible. To add, I think different comm company will have different angle of placing their antenna and sometimes your house or your office desk (which you are at aggregated 90% of 24 hours) happens to be a blind spot on their coverage, then you are better off dropping that company's card from your choices, regardless of whether its prepaid or postpaid.

Most city streets in hk are well covered by all the mobile companies so you will have no issues outside.

Hiking trails will be hit and miss.. some companies are better at some local spots and others otherwise. If you are fearful of not having sufficient network when at some isolated area, then better to bring two or more phones on different network then at least you have a backup...

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Did not notice degradation but it would always spontaneously disconnect for me so I switched providers.
    To which provider did you switch to ? HKBN seems to be offering 8GB/$68/month.

Mobile Duck (CMHK) was one possibility ($175 for 120 GB/year at Apliu Street, but seems to no longer be offered, although you can try CSL(?) equivalent abc mobile)

Another is Wellcome (CMHK), 60HKD for 2 SIMS, 30 days, 80 GB.

I bought two of these So SIM cards. Have tried to port my son's number over but failed once. Got the chat people to reset it and have tried again. Think it might be because I can't register a child's HK ID at Birdie...

Anyway there is no reception here where I live at all, nor where I work, so the Sim is entirely useless thus far. Is there any way of checking what the coverage is supposed to be?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast