Like Tree64Likes

The cheapest and fastest data in HK for $33?

Reply
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
  1. #161

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    /home/timonoj
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    I bought two of these So SIM cards. Have tried to port my son's number over but failed once. Got the chat people to reset it and have tried again. Think it might be because I can't register a child's HK ID at Birdie...

    Anyway there is no reception here where I live at all, nor where I work, so the Sim is entirely useless thus far. Is there any way of checking what the coverage is supposed to be?
    Usually people get trouble migrating to SoSIM from Birdie because hey don't notice Birdie as a CONTRACT operator. Technically you're in a contract, albeit one with no permanence period, so you can cancel it at any time, which throws people off. But not sure this is your issue at hand here.

    Regarding coverage map, it might have been temporary? During a whole weekend I had about no reception at all in a village in Yuen Long. Then I went there again a couple of weeks later, and I had 4 bars and full speed...At any rate, SoSIM uses Three's network (and their SIMs too!).
    https://www.nperf.com/en/map/HK/1819...-Three/signal/

  2. #162

    Did anyone else get a sms from the 3 network offering to sign up for their subsidized 5G plan at $100/month with a 12 month contract period? Apparently they're sending it out to SoSim subscribers. Not a bad deal getting 5G 10Gb data for $100. The only catch being it's a 12 month contract and secondly, after the initial 12 month period, they will bill at $198/month. I'm excited about trying it, except I'm using a non-5G phone currently, so kind of pointless that way.


  3. #163

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    273

    I have a Pixel 5 which is apparently 5G though no idea if it will actually connect here. I can't even connect it to the WiFi at work which is somehow incompatible with Android 12.

    Is 5G really necessary?


  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by eterrestrial32:
    Did anyone else get a sms from the 3 network offering to sign up for their subsidized 5G plan at $100/month with a 12 month contract period?
    Not yet;

    Since I need to be on mobile data when I am in office and reception here is very bad - one bar (would get second only if I am lucky) - speed test is like 1.3Mbps; I am strongly thinking to make move. I would need like 5-7GB data a month at least !

  5. #165

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong, from UK
    Posts
    3,615
    Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    I have a Pixel 5 which is apparently 5G though no idea if it will actually connect here. I can't even connect it to the WiFi at work which is somehow incompatible with Android 12.

    Is 5G really necessary?
    Got to be something pretty weird about your wifi if it won't connect, but... certainly when it was first released, the P5 was locked to only connect to 5G networks in known countries, essentially the countries where it was originally sold. I haven't kept up with the news, so I don't know if that's been relaxed since, but there were hacks/root tricks you could do to unlock support. I just use LTE with mine!

  6. #166

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Got to be something pretty weird about your wifi if it won't connect, but... certainly when it was first released, the P5 was locked to only connect to 5G networks in known countries, essentially the countries where it was originally sold. I haven't kept up with the news, so I don't know if that's been relaxed since, but there were hacks/root tricks you could do to unlock support. I just use LTE with mine!
    That's exactly what I was referring to. I suspect it won't connect. I wish phones came with a non 5g option for or those of us who'd rather save 100 USD on a feature we can't avail ourselves or even need.

    The WiFi issue is weird. It's an extra setting that appears in the options that has to be filled in and my IT department say they can't fix it without doing something big to the network. It applies to one of the IT staff's Xiaomi phones too. Cos of that I was using a tonne of data at work so that's why I switched to So SIM but the connection is patchy at best out here.

  7. #167

    For my switch, I liked https://www.hkcsl.com/en/your-mobile...a-prepaid-sim/

    But now need to find a way to port ! This SIM is not available on Dataworld.

    pin likes this.

  8. #168

    Currently using a prepaid Lucky Sim card and will be expiring soon. Could I port this number to SoSim? I would just need to download the SoSim app and go through the process there, correct? Or do I need to buy a SoSim card first, put it into my phone, activate it, and then go through the number porting feature?


  9. #169

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    97

    Yes, you need to buy sosim sim card first. Your current sim card will be unusable, once it’s done


  10. #170

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    495

    How is SoSim in terms of receiving and making phone calls? Qualitywise


Reply
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast