Like Tree79Likes

The cheapest and fastest data in HK for $33?

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Hey, just want to confirm - after you've used up the SoSim's 50GB data, do you just destroy/discard the used up sim card and throw it out? Or should you keep it for whatever security reason or for some other reason (that I'm not aware of) for needing it later down the road?

For example, maybe you used it to register/sign-up for an account and then need to pop it back in to access the account even though the data is used up?

Curious to know, as I'm not used to using local plug n' play sim cards before.

@vyral_143 Did you port your number over to HK Mobi Prepaid SIM card on CSL? I checked out that mypacemarket website but it was mostly in Chinese so unsure how you can port over and where - online vs physical store? How is the strength signal / mobile data speed and for voice calls compared to Birdie's? Is the local calls minutes valid for 365 days? Does it include voicemail too? And is there a way to recharge online (via website or app) every 365 days? On CSL website it shows a sequence of numbers and characters to key in to subscribe, e.g. *101*835*35#, but unsure the difference between subscribing and recharging? I am wondering about the ease of recharging in future when relocating overseas without the need to send any sms. TIA

Last edited by hkgcat; 18-01-2022 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    @vyral_143 Did you port your number over to HK Mobi Prepaid SIM card on CSL? I checked out that mypacemarket website but it was mostly in Chinese so unsure how you can port over and where - online vs physical store? How is the strength signal / mobile data speed and for voice calls compared to Birdie's? Is the local calls minutes valid for 365 days? Does it include voicemail too? And is there a way to recharge online (via website or app) every 365 days? On CSL website it shows a sequence of numbers and characters to key in to subscribe, e.g. *101*835*35#, but unsure the difference between subscribing and recharging? I am wondering about the ease of recharging in future when relocating overseas without the need to send any sms. TIA
    I have put in porting request on last Saturday evening, it should be done on 21st - Friday. As per person in charge, it takes about 5 working days. We need to visit the shop/office - I went to one in TST located at Ashley Road. Since I am yet to get card, I can't comment on signal strength or speed or call quality. If porting, cost is $150 which can be paid in almost all payment methods. Apart from 70GB data and 2000 mins, there is balance/value of $38 included too - if porting. After exhausting 2000 mins, it's 6 cents for a minute. Both incoming and outgoing minutes are counted - same as Birdie. About subscribing and recharging, recharge is adding balance/value to your number. Current promotion gets you 30% extra on recharge amount. Once you have balance in your/value in your SIM/number, you can use above code to subscribe any pack. Those codes are USSD codes, so no need to send SMS.

I think one can recharge over web too via https://prepaid.hkcsl.com/login

Following is link with all information from CSL https://www.hkcsl.com/en/csl-indones...l-prepaid-sim/

I have also found few other good plan options for this one; such as for data heavy user, $88/100GB/2000Mins/60 days (which when converted to monthly $44/50GB/1000 Mins) or for minute heavy user $68/8GB/2000Mins/365 days (even if you exhaust plan in say 1.5 months, effective cost is $46/month).

There is also $28/month for 10,000 minutes in CSL. I am not very sure if it is applicable to this SIM.
    hkgcat likes this.

To report back, porting is successful. My main issue (poor network with SoSIM at my office) is now resolved. Better network speed/response. I will supplement more on MTR network quality later in evening. Unfortunately, HKMobile services were down for ~45 mins this morning - which is not so good welcome experience.

shri, pin, hkgcat and 2 others like this.

@vyral_143 Thank you for the update. Look forward to a comparison of signal strength, mobile data speed and voice calls with Birdie too, when you get the chance.

Also, you mention those codes to subscribe/recharge are USSD codes where there is no need to send sms. May I take this to mean those codes should also work while in overseas without needing to send sms? And in theory, this prepaid sim card should work overseas to receive sms (e.g. otp codes from banks) as long as the card is topped up with xx amount every 90/180/365 days for example to keep extending validity, even without subscribing to international roaming or without subscribing to a data package? Sorry if I seem a bit thick but not really all that tech savvy when it comes to understanding these things about prepaid sim cards..

@vyral_143 Thank you for the update. Look forward to a comparison of signal strength, mobile data speed and voice calls with Birdie too, when you get the chance.

Also, you mention those codes to subscribe/recharge are USSD codes where there is no need to send sms. May I take this to mean those codes should also work while in overseas without needing to send sms? And in theory, this prepaid sim card should work overseas to receive sms (e.g. otp codes from banks) as long as the card is topped up with xx amount every 90/180/365 days for example to keep extending validity, even without subscribing to international roaming or without subscribing to a data package? Sorry if I seem a bit thick but not really all that tech savvy when it comes to understanding these things about prepaid sim cards..
    So after morning’s glitch, service so far is good. I would rate it better than SoSIM but below Birdie. This one improved in MTR over SoSIM in few areas particularly; e.g. SoSIM was unusable - data wise - between Olympic and East TST, this one is just fine - may not be as fast as Birdie but fast enough to not notice any issues. VoLTE is inbuilt/by default - yet to test calls particularly (I generally don’t use calls much - 250 odd mins in a month).

About USSD codes, theoretically, yes you can run/execute them even when overseas. About able to receive SMS when overseas, their WhatsApp support confirmed it. Their WhatsApp support number is 6776 8800.

Feel free to ask if you have any ore questions.
    pin and hkgcat like this.

I decided to switch to HK Mobile's prepaid sim card (using CSL network) yesterday and port my number. Porting date is this coming Friday. First time switching from postpaid plan to prepaid so hopefully porting is successful. HK Mobile's FB page is in Chinese so not useful for me to get info there. Thankfully, they were able to respond in English using their whatsapp number. HK Mobile says I can refer to the info on CSL's website for HK Mobi prepaid sim because it is one and the same. They provided a location in Central (Mobile Phone Direct Selling Centre shop next to Worldwide House) that can do MNP so I went there instead of the Mypacemarket shop in TST.

@vyral_143 I asked HK Mobile about recharging and they said it was only through recharge vouchers whether getting the physical one or sending them a whatsapp where you pay them by fps and they send you the recharge code. Cannot recharge online using csl website.

Also, I asked them if there was a difference between sim card validity and data pass validity and they said that it follows whichever is later. For example the starter pack with MNP is $150, sim card validity is 365 days and includes data pass of 70GB / 2000mins / 365 days and free $38 bonus for MNP from other operator. He said before the end of 365 days, I can use that $38 bonus to subscribe to the data pass of $38 / 1GB / 365 days and this would automatically extend my sim card validity by another 365 days even if I don't recharge my sim card with a recharge voucher. He said this would give me 2 years use of the sim card even without any recharge. Also, he said that even if I recharge the sim early by putting in $100 now, this amount will be banked in the sim card and just be deducted by the price of any new subscription as long as I keep subscribing to a new data pass every year. Does this make sense?

I had the impression that sim card validity and data pass validity are 2 separate things. You would have to ensure sim card is valid (count from date of last recharge) to continue using the card (to receive incoming sms while in overseas, for example) and not lose your number. Subscribing to a data pass is separate and will only work if your sim card is still valid. From csl's website, I would need to use recharge vouchers worth $50/$100 to extend sim card validity by 365 days. Wouldn't I need to (A) ensure I recharge my sim before the end of the 1st year with a minimum of $50 in order to extend my sim card validity by another 365 days, and (B) optionally subscribe to a data pass if I want to..? Essentially, I need to continue doing A every year to ensure sim card remains valid but can choose not to do B if I don't need mobile data when overseas and just need to keep my number and be able to receive incoming sms?

HK Mobile is telling me, for example, with a one time recharge of $100, my sim card will not expire in 365 days (counting from recharge date) as long as I keep subscribing to $38 / 1GB / 365 days data pass every year as it will follow the later validity date of the data pass. This effectively gives me 2 years worth of sim card validity instead of just 1 year with that one time recharge of $100.

Appreciate any insight on how these things actually work as the last thing I want is to lose my number when I've already left HK. There isn't much handholding with prepaid sim service providers, which takes getting used to. And with prepaid sim cards, seems like the number is lost forever if you forget to ensure your sim card remains valid.

pin likes this.

I decided to switch to HK Mobile's prepaid sim card (using CSL network) yesterday and port my number. Porting date is this coming Friday. First time switching from postpaid plan to prepaid so hopefully porting is successful. HK Mobile's FB page is in Chinese so not useful for me to get info there. Thankfully, they were able to respond in English using their whatsapp number. HK Mobile says I can refer to the info on CSL's website for HK Mobi prepaid sim because it is one and the same. They provided a location in Central (Mobile Phone Direct Selling Centre shop next to Worldwide House) that can do MNP so I went there instead of the Mypacemarket shop in TST.

@vyral_143 I asked HK Mobile about recharging and they said it was only through recharge vouchers whether getting the physical one or sending them a whatsapp where you pay them by fps and they send you the recharge code. Cannot recharge online using csl website.

Also, I asked them if there was a difference between sim card validity and data pass validity and they said that it follows whichever is later. For example the starter pack with MNP is $150, sim card validity is 365 days and includes data pass of 70GB / 2000mins / 365 days and free $38 bonus for MNP from other operator. He said before the end of 365 days, I can use that $38 bonus to subscribe to the data pass of $38 / 1GB / 365 days and this would automatically extend my sim card validity by another 365 days even if I don't recharge my sim card with a recharge voucher. He said this would give me 2 years use of the sim card even without any recharge. Also, he said that even if I recharge the sim early by putting in $100 now, this amount will be banked in the sim card and just be deducted by the price of any new subscription as long as I keep subscribing to a new data pass every year. Does this make sense?

I had the impression that sim card validity and data pass validity are 2 separate things. You would have to ensure sim card is valid (count from date of last recharge) to continue using the card (to receive incoming sms while in overseas, for example) and not lose your number. Subscribing to a data pass is separate and will only work if your sim card is still valid. From csl's website, I would need to use recharge vouchers worth $50/$100 to extend sim card validity by 365 days. Wouldn't I need to (A) ensure I recharge my sim before the end of the 1st year with a minimum of $50 in order to extend my sim card validity by another 365 days, and (B) optionally subscribe to a data pass if I want to..? Essentially, I need to continue doing A every year to ensure sim card remains valid but can choose not to do B if I don't need mobile data when overseas and just need to keep my number and be able to receive incoming sms?

HK Mobile is telling me, for example, with a one time recharge of $100, my sim card will not expire in 365 days (counting from recharge date) as long as I keep subscribing to $38 / 1GB / 365 days data pass every year as it will follow the later validity date of the data pass. This effectively gives me 2 years worth of sim card validity instead of just 1 year with that one time recharge of $100.

Appreciate any insight on how these things actually work as the last thing I want is to lose my number when I've already left HK. There isn't much handholding with prepaid sim service providers, which takes getting used to. And with prepaid sim cards, seems like the number is lost forever if you forget to ensure your sim card remains valid.
    In general, prepaid SIM has following terminologies.
    Packs = a bundle of services for a particular sum which are valid for certain duration. E.g. 100GB data/1000mins for 60 days @ $100
    Balance = amount of money you have in your number/SIM. With this money you can make calls, subscribe to any packs
    Recharge = adding balance to your number/SIM via vouchers, online or other methods

Now when you recharge your prepaid SIM, you get balance and SIM/number validity. Like e.g. SoSIM gives 30 days SIM/number validity for $20 recharge. With this balance, you can subscribe to various packs; E.g. again taking SoSIM as example; assume you already have $45 in your SIM/number and validity of 1 month. Now if you recharge with $20, you get balance of $65 and 2 months of validity in total. With this $65, you can subscribe to yearly voice call pack which has validity of 1 year. Hence automatically, your SIM/number will have validity of 1 year.

In case of HKMobile, recharges of $20/50/100 gets you 30/365/365 days of SIM/number validity.

Also to supplement, here is SMS content one would get when we check info by *101#; in my case both are same for now.
    Mobile no.: xxxx xxxx
    Balance: $37.55
    Card Expiry Date:2023/1/21
    Subscription & Account enquiry: prepaid.hkcsl.com
    Local Data 365-Day
    Remain (Data): 69.2 GB
    Plan valid until 21/1/2023 02:30

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    Now when you recharge your prepaid SIM, you get balance and SIM/number validity. Like e.g. SoSIM gives 30 days SIM/number validity for $20 recharge. With this balance, you can subscribe to various packs; E.g. again taking SoSIM as example; assume you already have $45 in your SIM/number and validity of 1 month. Now if you recharge with $20, you get balance of $65 and 2 months of validity in total. With this $65, you can subscribe to yearly voice call pack which has validity of 1 year. Hence automatically, your SIM/number will have validity of 1 year.

In case of HKMobile, recharges of $20/50/100 gets you 30/365/365 days of SIM/number validity.

Also to supplement, here is SMS content one would get when we check info by *101#; in my case both are same for now.
    Mobile no.: xxxx xxxx
    Balance: $37.55
    Card Expiry Date:2023/1/21
    Subscription & Account enquiry: prepaid.hkcsl.com
    Local Data 365-Day
    Remain (Data): 69.2 GB
    Plan valid until 21/1/2023 02:30
    Thanks for taking the time to explain! So HK Mobile's explanation is the same as yours, where sim card validity follows the later expiry date, whether it is recharge or subscription to any pack. And thanks also for sharing what info is provided by that *101# USSD code. Good to know it also shows both card expiry date and plan valid until date so it is very clear.

A little OT - was looking at SoSim at Fortress, when I saw that Fortress and 3 are doing a promo at the moment - HKD148 (+HKD18 tunnel fee) per month for 100gb 5G plan (24 month contract). Signed up straight away.

CMHK is doing HKD198 per month for a 30gb 5G plan on a 30 month contract (albeit with 6 months free, taking the price down to 159/month) - but not a CMHK fan.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast