Like Tree94Likes

The cheapest and fastest data in HK for $33?

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

I got a SoSim around a week back just to run for the data. Tried buying the 90 day package and it mentioned that the current 50GB package would be canceled and replaced immediately, so might just hang on to the default for now. Honestly, the difference is way too small but if you're not a heavy user, then might as well go for the 90 day option since it offers slightly more off the top.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganH:
    The number since I got to HK many years ago successfully ported over to SoSIM this morning without any issues, and SmarTone's online system has already removed the number from their systems (my wife is still using the same SmarTone plan - for now). I stuck with SmarTone for way too many years paying ~250HKD a month for 5GB + Fair Use unlimited but lower-priority fast enough for me mobile data.

I hope others have success switching to SoSIM if they'd like.

Within the SoSim app, I also see an option for 88HKD for 90 days of 120GB FUP and 10,000 minutes. Does anyone know if you can just buy that 90 day 120GB plan and not the base 33HKD 30-day 50GB plan?
    Is there also a 180 day plan for $48? ($8/month). This could be useful for me overseas, now I'm just paying Birdie to keep my HK number but not really using it. Could port my HK number to this possibly.

Has anyone used SoSim inside a mifi or sim router for internet use at home? Is 50GB ($33/30 days) typically enough for one month usage, mostly internet browsing and some FaceTime and YouTube watching.. My HKBN contract has ended and would like to just have internet access at home for the next 3-4 mos before leaving.

Second question - I have an old Huawei E5577C mifi that I used long time ago on travels. Will this do or will I need to buy a proper sim router? I guess my concern will be its 150Mbps speed, battery life (max 6 hrs), and will it get too hot if used everyday. If a sim router is needed, do these plug into mains while in use or do they run on batteries, and any recommendation on a good one that isn't expensive? TIA..

Last edited by hkgcat; 10-07-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Oh, more SoSim questions:

Q1: Has anyone been able to activate SoSim while in overseas?
    Q2: Can SoSim receive incoming sms while in overseas and are they free of charge?
    Q3: Can you recharge SoSim while in overseas? Or can they only be recharged in HK? Not sure but think I read somewhere they need to be recharged at ParknShop/Watsons stores?

Thanks again!

@hkgcat I've answered some of your questions on another thread, so I just answer the ones haven't been answered.

I googled Huawei E5577C, it seems that you can use it, but I'm not 100% sure. You can just buy a a card and try, since it's only $33. I think the speed is okay, considering the speed test I've done was almost 40 Mbps with SoSIM. I do zoom call as well, and never have any problem.

I'm also using a pocket wifi thingy. Yes, it could get hot sometimes, but I'm not that concern, since it's not my cellphone. And unlike normal broadband router, now I turn it off when I go to sleep. But other than that, it seems okay for me. I keep it plugged, just like a normal broadband router, cause I'm not using it as pocket wifi to carry when I go out.

Q2: I believe someone asked the same question, and it should be free to receive only.
    Q3: I've answer on other thread, now you can top up with credit card through the app, from anywhere.

I believe I read on other thread that you live in Gold Coast, I actually live opposite Phase 2 right now, and if you like, we could meet up for you to try the sim card.

Last edited by rainylin; 11-07-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    hkgcat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainylin:
    I believe I read on other thread that you live in Gold Coast, I actually live opposite Phase 2 right now, and if you like, we could meet up for you to try the sim card.
    @rainylin Thx so much for the detailed explanation, and yes I’ve also read your answers on the other thread.

Appreciate the offer, very kind, unfortunately I don’t live in Gold Coast.. must be someone else with a similar sounding username? I’m in Sheung Wan area. I’ll give this SoSim a go, thx to you sharing your experience!
    rainylin likes this.

Just a consideration. In some far away places and villages, reception might leave to be desired on Three's network, whereas the bigger providers as CMHK, Smartone etc might have decent coverage. I didn't have any reception at all in the middle of nowhere in Yuen Long yesterday, but my friend with CMHK could stream youtube with no problem.

For those of you already using SoSIM for more than a month, if you opt to go for recharge amount of $33 / 30 days, are you required to renew automatically every 30 days or lose your SoSIM number? Or is there an option to not renew automatically and just do it whenever you need it, e.g. $33 for Aug, skip Sep, $33 for Oct, ...? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Not very familiar with prepaid sim and difficult to hunt for info on SoSIM website.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    For those of you already using SoSIM for more than a month, if you opt to go for recharge amount of $33 / 30 days, are you required to renew automatically every 30 days or lose your SoSIM number? Or is there an option to not renew automatically and just do it whenever you need it, e.g. $33 for Aug, skip Sep, $33 for Oct, ...? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Not very familiar with prepaid sim and difficult to hunt for info on SoSIM website.
    Stated in the sales card that as long as you have money inside, it will by default renew the 33$, so technically it should retain the same number..

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    I think if you have balance, then it automatically updates. If not, then as long as the sim still has a validity date which is a few months out, you should still be able to do what you just said. I'd suggest just trying it out since they're about the price of a happy meal so you could always chuck them away. Had mine for a couple of weeks now and for casual use on the go, it has been perfectly fine. Didn't feel once that the data was leaving something to be desired. I have a Birdie number as well and compared to the Smartone network, in some locations, the 3 network signals do drop but so far, I haven't had any issues using it as a daily driver.
    hkgcat likes this.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast