Like Tree27Likes

Transfer to SoSim

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I also just stumbled upon this great deal. So there is no way of transferring your regular phone number to this prepaid SIM card?

Quote Originally Posted by eterrestrial32:
    Thanks. Would be good to see a speed test. For most mobile apps, as long as it is above 5Mbps with a decent ping, you should be pretty good with the connectivity. Using as a broadband replacement at home is a whole other proposition though, but great if you are getting decent speeds still.
    I don't know which website is best for speed test, anyway, I've done a few test, and pick the best ones.
    This 2 results are Smartone tethering from my phone, and the other one is SoSim using SIM router.
    Last edited by rainylin; 17-06-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks man. Those seem like pretty decent speeds for everyday use. I also came across this article, and although I can't read Cantonese, I sort of figured that they're on a 42Mbps cap, which is what Birdie offers as well. Birdie used Smartone as MVNO while SoSim are using 3 as their backbone. I think for the most part, both of these carriers provide decent coverage across HK.

chuckster007 and rainylin like this.

Wow, 13 SIM cards, I don’t need that many, though, haha. Even though it’s very cheap.

chuckster007 likes this.

Yeah, it's not bad if all you want is data and don't really care about the phone number.

chuckster007 likes this.

I was walking past PNS a few weeks ago and saw the SoSim ad on the wall so I bought 2 data sim cards for no reason at all and its in my wallet now. I feel like a spy with 2 secret number sim cards LOL

I might go get the buy 10 get 3 free for no reason at all as well

rainylin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I was walking past PNS a few weeks ago and saw the SoSim ad on the wall so I bought 2 data sim cards for no reason at all and its in my wallet now. I feel like a spy with 2 secret number sim cards LOL

I might go get the buy 10 get 3 free for no reason at all as well
    I was going to buy more to stick in a pocket wifi router. But I think I saw somewhere that you had to activate by November (could be wrong).
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainylin:
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/121/thread360405-3.html
    another thread already mentioning SoSIM, I'll transfer from Smartone prepaid to SoSIM soon.

I've been using SoSIM with a SIM router/pocket wifi/wifi egg, not sure what it's actually called, for a few months, and don't seem to have any problem with downloading torrent etc. The only problem is that it gets really hot sometimes.
    As you are using SoSIM in a small pocket wifi (like sort of the size of one's palm) or looks like a normal bigger router size for home use that has a SIM card slot? And is it for home use instead of using broadband? I am curious if $33/mo at 50GB is sufficient for 1 month's use for home internet for you or do you need to top up more frequently?

Also, can you only recharge through ParknShop or Watsons stores? TIA

@hkgcat Yes, I'm using some kind of pocket wifi / mobile router. Yes I'm using it as replacement of home broadband. Last year I stayed a short time in a village house and didn't want to install the only choice of provider I had there. For me, it's really sufficient. And I'm the kind that watch youtube, plus download TV series from US, once it's aired, lol. Also video call my family regularly. After I realised it's sufficient, I won't go back to pay a lot of money for broadband, plus the 2 years contract that's really not convenient sometimes.

At the beginning, it's true, you had to go to ParkNshop/Fusion/Taste to top up, but now I top up through the app, pay by credit card. So it's really convenient.

And last month, I transfer my Smartone number to SoSIM as well, so my cellphone, plus home internet are now both using SoSIM.

hkgcat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainylin:
    @hkgcat Yes, I'm using some kind of pocket wifi / mobile router. Yes I'm using it as replacement of home broadband.
    Does your pocket wifi battery last whole day or is it able to connect to mains power? Have an old Huawei pocket wifi that is probably 5 yrs old.. not used in a long time but still holds a charge, although not sure if it lasts the full 6 hrs as per claim when new. Not that I use home internet whole day but typically with home broadband it is always on and access it intermittently throughout the day. Wondering if you only turn on the pocket wifi when you need it and keep it off otherwise..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast