Like Tree26Likes

Transfer to SoSim

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    Does your pocket wifi battery last whole day or is it able to connect to mains power?
    I've replied on another thread, that I keep it plugged to outlet, since I'm using it as replacement for home broadband.
    hkgcat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainylin:
    I've replied on another thread, that I keep it plugged to outlet, since I'm using it as replacement for home broadband.
    Thx! I’ve read your reply on the other thread too.
    rainylin likes this.

I can't for the life of me find the thread.
    1. Does SoSIM receive SMS messages in Australia?

I think somebody said it didn't work.
    Three - seems to have carrier agreements.
    SoSIM pages -> very vague and only has agreements with a few countries explicitly called out. Not sure if SoSIM is 'hobbled' compared to a three SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by rainylin:
    And last month, I transfer my Smartone number to SoSIM as well, so my cellphone, plus home internet are now both using SoSIM.
    Rainy - how do you go about transferring a contract-based number to SoSIM? I have been looking around online but couldn't find any clear instructions on how to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_jones:
    I can't for the life of me find the thread.
    1. Does SoSIM receive SMS messages in Australia?

I think somebody said it didn't work.
    Three - seems to have carrier agreements.
    SoSIM pages -> very vague and only has agreements with a few countries explicitly called out. Not sure if SoSIM is 'hobbled' compared to a three SIM.
    @rainylin has answered my questions re. using SoSIM in HK as cheap replacement for home broadband using pocket wifi, speed is acceptable, 50GB data is typically sufficient for monthly use, and being able to recharge without physically going to PnS / Watsons stores. I posed similar questions in another thread, hence the mention of reply in other thread (post #84 & 86) https://geoexpat.com/forum/121/threa...ml#post3812791

In the above thread, I also posed other questions (post #85) My questions were:

Q1: Has anyone been able to activate SoSim while in overseas?

- I did find in SoSim online T&C, it mentions card must be activated in HK.. https://web.three.com.hk/tnc/210621/tnc-sosim-en.pdf

Q2: Can SoSim receive incoming sms while in overseas and are they free of charge?
    - similar to your question, just not specific to Australia. There has only been one anecdotal feedback from @martykay in another thread, who found SoSIM unusable in Australia, let alone receive incoming sms https://geoexpat.com/forum/337/thread361185.html I hope other members who are currently in overseas can share more feedback.

Q3: Can you recharge SoSim while in overseas?

- unanswered. Although @rainylin has mentioned recharging can now be done online through the app instead of going to PnS / Watsons stores, guess it will also depend on Q2 if SoSim is usable / unusable overseas.
    Last edited by hkgcat; 12-07-2021 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Rainy - how do you go about transferring a contract-based number to SoSIM? I have been looking around online but couldn't find any clear instructions on how to do so.
    Yes, you can.

Please check this thread:
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/121/thread360405-6.html

This is a little bit off topic, but I confirm that Citibank Hong Kong accepts overseas mobile numbers for SMS one time passwords. I just downloaded a change of number PDF form from Citibank website, entered my Australian +61 mobile number, uploaded the PDF to Citibank HK website, then they called my number to confirm is me, now is all set and when I login to Citibank and want to execute a stock trade or funds transfer etc, they send me an SMS code to my Australian mobile number.

So one less reason for those of you moving overseas to keep a HK number active.

rainylin and hkgcat like this.

Q2: Can SoSim receive incoming sms while in overseas and are they free of charge?
    - similar to your question, just not specific to Australia. There has only been one anecdotal feedback from @martykay in another thread, who found SoSIM unusable in Australia, let alone receive incoming sms https://geoexpat.com/forum/337/thread361185.html I hope other members who are currently in overseas can share more feedback.

Can Any One Confirm That SoSim Can Recieve Incoming SMS While Overseas?
    I ported from Birdie to SoSIm and the network is much better where I am (Silver Seas at Olympic). Looking to use SoSim for recieving banking one time passwords while I am overseas (UK) in March to April and was wondering if anyone has confirmed that incoming SMS can still be recieved by SoSim while overseas?
    Last edited by GuruA; 30-01-2022 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Quote original post

Quote Originally Posted by GuruA:

Can Any One Confirm That SoSim Can Recieve Incoming SMS While Overseas?
    I ported from Birdie to SoSIm and the network is much better where I am (Silver Seas at Olympic). Looking to use SoSim for recieving banking one time passwords while I am overseas (UK) in March to April and was wondering if anyone has confirmed that incoming SMS can still be recieved by SoSim while overseas?
    You need to call customer care on 1033 and activate Roaming. Once done, you can receive SMS overseas. I faced this situation just this morning. My spouse is in home country without any network on SoSIM. I called customer care and they activated roaming in few seconds; after that all good. Hence a suggestion is to do this activation before leaving Hong Kong.
    pin, chuckster007 and rainylin like this.

@vyral_143 Is it necessary to activate roaming in order to receive sms while in overseas? I thought receiving sms while overseas was free regardless you had roaming or not and you only need to activate roaming if you also want the ability to make calls or send sms while in overseas..? Or is my understanding wrong and ALL prepaid SIM cards, regardless of service provider or MVNO would need to activate roaming to receive sms while in overseas? TIA

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast